2021 POTD Thread Archive

A while ago I made a post showing a hob I'd made to cut gear teeth. The teeth weren't deep enough on the prototype cutter. I was topping the gear teeth before I could get deep enough to get the correct measurement over pins. Made a second hob that worked great. The larger gear measured correctly and now meshes well at the correct center spacing.
IMG_4444.jpg

The large gear is the first part of a future project. Will start a thread on it when I get going. A few other projects to get cleaned up first.

Greg

I finished up a tapered broach bushing I'll need to broach a keyway in a backplate i want to make for a 4 jaw chuck i picked up. It was a good little project to learn how to cut tapers with the compound, as i hadn't done that before. The spindle has a L0 taper on the nose, which i had to match.

Attachments

• 20210102_201135_HDR.jpg
    20210102_201135_HDR.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 51
Been wanting to put my slitting saws to use for years but didn't have any holders.
Finally had time to make two different sized holders that can fit in my 25mm weldon holder.
Also made a heavy-duty tap follower. Always wanted to try one of those.
The tips are somewhat easy to replace, for example for smaller taps that don't have a hole in them.

Attachments

• D9E9D42C-C989-41D8-AA13-1047599459B4.jpg
    D9E9D42C-C989-41D8-AA13-1047599459B4.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 48
After half a day and pack and a half of 4" cutting stones i could not cut apart the body shell of this parts car, it needs to be in pisces so the junk man can load it by hand, i had enough and went out and bought me a 9" angle grinder.
IMG_20210102_180925.jpgIMG_20210104_173825.jpgIMG_20210104_174517.jpg

Really nice projects everyone.

This past week end I made a fine feed unit to go on my old Speed Way drill/mill. (DTMACH34)
This used a homemade worm gear and shaft and took the place of the recoil spring,
Was sort of crude but I am now able to make very fine cuts with this thing.

Attachments

• IMG_1932.JPG
    IMG_1932.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 36
@GoceKU nice. The 9" grinders are a LOT more powerful than their little brothers the 4". The 9" grinder exhibits gyroscopic action, so watch out for that. The 9" grinder will make short work of what you need to do.

After half a day and pack and a half of 4" cutting stones i could not cut apart the body shell of this parts car, it needs to be in pisces so the junk man can load it by hand, i had enough and went out and bought me a 9" angle grinder.

Diamond cut-off blades are much more cost effective for heavy work.

Examples of diamond cut-off blades

I see a Plasma cutter in your future . . .

Bruce
Plasma cutter is an awesome tool, unfortunately here those tools are very expensive, i'll have to spend 3 months paychecks to buy a cheap one.

Back