2021 POTD Thread Archive

This is something my Dad built in the shop last week. He is a woodworker.

He saw my 5C collet trays last weekend. While I was working long hours M-F, he built this wood box to house the 5C collets and trays.

I’m going to make a metal cart to put it on.

62A5FD69-AF49-4DE4-9C1C-82784736949F.jpeg

DCDE0FBF-AD67-42D2-8AC8-8C8763F27F4B.jpeg

Today, i spent my day under this car, it got 4 new shock absorbers, new ball joints. I had to drop the entire suspension and replaced every worn out parts. Now with the engine refresh and suspension refresh should be good to go for another 30 years, yes the suspension and engine haven't had any major repair scene new.
IMG_20210324_171819.jpgIMG_20210324_171823.jpgIMG_20210324_195201.jpg

This is something my Dad built in the shop last week. He is a woodworker.

He saw my 5C collet trays last weekend. While I was working long hours M-F, he built this wood box to house the 5C collets and trays.

I’m going to make a metal cart to put it on.

View attachment 360805

View attachment 360803
Thats a lot of collets. You have metric also? Where have you gotten most of yours? Id love to get a nice set

Oh Man, What a nice set of collets! Your dad did well making that tray. Very Cool.

Progress pic...

My version of a Nicholson/ Roubo wood working bench.

67cd69606399789e8eba20bf636a954b.jpg

Back half of the top is next. Needs to be S3S with the hand plane. I will then glue and dowel in place and then flatten the top and square up the apron to the top.

This is 2” thick red oak. Helped a guy up in Fairfield, VT cut the slabs last summer. He gave me a heck of a deal - about $120 for everything you see here.

The headstock, carriage and servo drives are patiently waiting for me in the back as I sit next to the gear hob project being ever more patient.

Chaos. That’s what I did in my shop today. I’m good with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While you guys have been busy making shiny metal objects that us mere mortals drool over I have been busy redoing the wheel wells in my utility trailer for the last week. Why did I take on this project? Long story. My son-in-law and I have been going round and round about garden tractors verses a 4x4 4 wheeler. I send him an ad on a garden tractor that I can afford and he comes back with you really need a 4x4 4 wheeler. I come back with I can't afford a 2x4 4 wheeler let alone a 4x4. This has been going on for awhile. A couple of weeks ago my daughter emails me that Justin has just bought a new 4x4 4 wheeler for their ranch and he will let me use one of his old ones. Now how do I get it. The ranch is a good 4 hours away. The plan is we will meet up somewhere in between. My utility trailer is made out of an old Ford Courier pickup bed. 6' long. And the wheel wells are so high the 4 wheeler may not fit. So I have to lower them. Couldn't just cut them out because the top of the tires are an inch above the level of the bed.

Almost done. Have a little bit of welding left and will need to seal up the seams. This trailer was abandoned on my property when I moved in. It is ugly and rusty but has been useful at times. Only have a before picture of one side. A picture with that wheel well cut out and another picture of the current status.

IMG_0099.JPG IMG_4079.JPG

IMG_4083.JPG

Another day and I will be done.

I’ve been meaning to get my bandsaw up and working. All the bearings were going bad and some bozo long in the past decided to lose one of the eccentric bolts to adjust the bearing and replace it with the wrong size bolt too.

Now I don’t blame him for the wrong size bolt thing because the originals (only 2 left.) had 5/16 thread with a 10mm shoulder for the bearings... I wanted to believe the were m8 but no sir they are indeed 5/16-18.

So then come my realization that McMaster doesn’t carry what I need so I’ll just make some. So after a few weeks and me even cutting stock on my mill I’ve decided to start fixing it.

I got the 2 smallest screws made after a few trys. Kept messing up the bearing diameter.

Then I moved to the slightly longer screws. I decided to copy the ones that were in there but give them a 10mm shoulder. I did not realize that the thread were too long though so I made one and it didn’t fit the bearing so I made another and it fit perfectly I was like great I’ll make another and I got that going just to find out the darn thing has too long of threads. Now I could just cut off the threads and shorten it but what’s the fun in that?

Tomorrow I’ll get the correct bolts made and maybe try to tackle the eccentric bolt.

ede1146c7db77f5dcd8c56fe64337764.jpg

1cd1c69b91b109fb190645be03b213e0.jpg

4c1e0599916c302d807120530840ce07.jpg

6bdffa74082b18ff113bf0f4f4733709.jpg

04ac93b027609630f4957c4ce13b342e.jpg

2a7ba3964cd1b4359e7e6e26a27b0a8e.jpg

8e8efc35dfb19135d8c081b75f5d6974.jpg

If anybody needs one of these oddball bolts for the same saw let me know I can send you what you need.

The bolts are made of 17-4 stainless 47hrc

I actually purchased a bar of 4140 to make them from but did not consider the fact that I did not have a bandsaw to cut the down small enough to get in my lathe.

I tried to make a video but it did not turn out well if there’s any interest I’ll try to take a better one tomorrow.

I got my mill set on the base I finished a few days ago. I didn't buy the lifting bar but found the dimensions online and made one from some 1/2 x 2" CR flat bar. Worked perfect. All the holes on the base lined up so happy that Tormach's CAD model is accurate to the real thing.
IMG_1953.jpg

I bought a diamond wheel to sharpen my boring bars a while ago and built a fixture to hold them in my lathe. I finally finished the mandrel, and here I am using it, I can't believe how fast it cuts.

Attachments

• IMG_0083.JPG
    IMG_0083.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 35
Back