2021 POTD Thread Archive

It's a 4055 MFWD. It has sat for two years with a spun rod bearing. Friend brought it to me last Saturday and decided to finally fix it. 0

Reactions: tjb
One more SB Heavy 10 item done, well 2 actually. First one the screws that attach the collet closer handle to the bronze bearing weren't the same dimensionally. The top one seems to be the right size, with an oil hole in the center of it. Although, all the ones that I could find in SB literature showed a Gitz oil cup on top of it, but an oil hole will do for now. The bottom screw was a socket head allen bolt that was too long, and the shoulder that was turned down to fit into the bronze bearing was much too small. That means that the top half of the bearings was doing all of the work. I made a new bottom bolt to match the top, minus the oil hole, and added a lock nut for each.
Second item was the guard for the back of the spindle was missing, and with it was a way to secure the swing open guard for everything else.
So, I made this one with a piece of stainless steel exhaust pipe. Luckily the thumb screw was in the cover doing nothing.
20210402_011054.jpg20210402_013043.jpg
The old.
20210330_135138.jpg

Now, this is cool!
I've never been able to use my 90* BP head because of the power draw bar on my Kondia.
This bracket is for my ancient BP power feed. It will provide a control lever on the left side of the table, and will also bump the travel limit stops.
16174094077777686849211732287315.jpg16174094821854230538494659619411.jpg

After bumping along with the lump that is my vise handle I made a quick modification.
The biggest issue I had was the thing was too long so always smacked into the Y-axis handwheel.
So I put it in the bandsaw and lopped of about two inches. I thought I'd just sand the cut end down and call it good till I make a speed handle.
But I looked at the round end and decided to fit it back onto the handle.
I cut the stub off, drilled a hole and counter bore for a 1/4-20 SCHS.
Held the handle bit vertically in my crappy drill press vise and drilled for a 1/4-20 thread.
Turned out pretty alright for 20 mins work.
IMG_7306.jpeg

IMG_7307.jpeg

After bumping along with the lump that is my vise handle I made a quick modification.
The biggest issue I had was the thing was too long so always smacked into the Y-axis handwheel.
So I put it in the bandsaw and lopped of about two inches. I thought I'd just sand the cut end down and call it good till I make a speed handle.
But I looked at the round end and decided to fit it back onto the handle.
I cut the stub off, drilled a hole and counter bore for a 1/4-20 SCHS.
Held the handle bit vertically in my crappy drill press vise and drilled for a 1/4-20 thread.
Turned out pretty alright for 20 mins work.
View attachment 361536

View attachment 361538

I've been meaning to shorten my vise handle, also... I just haven't decided how to do it.

I think I just decided how to do mine... you did a nice job on that, so I'll copy your idea... if you don't mind...

-Bear

I've been meaning to shorten my vise handle, also... I just haven't decided how to do it.

I think I just decided how to do mine... you did a nice job on that, so I'll copy your idea... if you don't mind...

-Bear
Gosh, I'm flattered to be honest!
Copy away Bear!

Uh-oh, the crappy drill press vise has vindicated itself....

Last few days have been very busy for me but today i finally had some time to spare, first on the list to do was to see where now my father's car is leaking oil. And after running it i've seen the brand new valve cover gasket is split in half. So i clean off the old one and installed it, then i had to wash the engine again, it was clear before now i can't get access with the brush like with the head off. Then i had to do something about the steering wheel on it, its had a cover on it for most of its life but that is because of a small hole on the left side. So i got me piece of leather and sew it, i used red string to match the paint, in the hole i put some cotton, it turn out good, after few thousand Km it will look like factory. Those two simple jobs took me close to 4 hours.
IMG_20210327_111612.jpgIMG_20210402_172656.jpgIMG_20210402_172858.jpgIMG_20210402_173758.jpgIMG_20210402_203104.jpgIMG_20210402_204652.jpgIMG_20210402_204715.jpg

Back