2021 POTD Thread Archive

I've got to make several of the same rod with about 115mm (4.5") of M10x1.5 thread off of one side of it. Instead of single pointing these I made an extended travel die holder that can do it all on one shot. This morning I gave it a test run and it worked excellent. IMG_1961.JPGIMG_1962.JPGIMG_1960.JPGIMG_1963.jpg

it seems like I am frequently trying to prop things up on the bench or mill, and fumbling around to do that. I have some classic mill jack stands, but they are kind of dinky and unstable. Plus, I just made a LH internal threading tool, and wanted to try out the away from the headstock turning and counterclockwise rotation for both upside down external threading technique and backside internal threading. So this was a practice project.

I made three adjustable steel stands, 2.25" in diameter. The half sections screw together with about a half inch of vertical adjustment. I played with my dividing head to mark off 5 thousandths of vertical adjustment between tic marks, and used different thread pitches as more playing around. After struggling with the first stand, trying to get a custom (and random choice of) pitch diameter to thread together smoothly and without slop, I spent an hour with Machinery's handbook and targeted 2"x 10 TPI and 1.75"x20 tpi. You end up with toleranced targets for the turned external OD and bored internal ID, either class 2 or class 3. Now the threads feel smooth without excess slop.

So it was educational, and even perhaps I'll use these someday. I am thinking if I need to support a piece on the mill table for through drilling, these would let me level it pretty perfectly and then clamp it down on these with the mill hold down rods.

Oh, I also sunk some rare earth magnets into the blocks for stacking and using them on the arbor press. The magnets are strong enough to hold the block up against gravity, and recessing them a couple thou below the surface protects them from damage, since they are quite brittle.

Jack stand 1.jpgJack stand 2.jpg

Well, this is actually going to go together without any fitting whatsoever. I just finished the bracket that goes over the dovetail wipers. I also had to make 3 shoulder bolts with 10-32 threads. The rod is from an old snowblower. The original bend on the end with the handle just has to lean over like it is now and get pinned to the control handle. The other end will have a lever to control the power feed from the left side of the table. Most importantly, there will be two over travel stops that will bump the bracket and stop the powerfeed before it crashes into the saddle again!
16175625515526997957415980188619.jpg16175626062396241134782231565492.jpg

I have a 12” tall, 8” I.D. Schedule 40 black pipe that I have been using for pipe welding coupons. As I was recycling these pipe coupons, the pipe was getting thinner and thinner (I would turn & bore it after every cycle).

Now I am “cladding” (building it up) by horizontally running 3/32” E6010 rods at 80A.

This is a fun project because it is so much arc time.

This is one of the beads before wire bushing. I really love 6010 because of the penetration & easy (re)starts. Welding hot & fast is super fun!

02F32982-574B-4EE2-90B8-CA77AE568DBD.png

99% done my Nicholson /Roubo style bench. Holding the bottom stringers is difficult without a vise so I made a planing stop for the bench. Walnut and 1/4” angle with some teeth carved in for bite.

7f73e54083631c82af035bede36e0812.jpg

d4ccb5e35d1e05b727cedcde2aeb4120.jpg

0c112d83fa4d90357f85bc30cccc31ce.jpg

7e01bfcca6eaf2f65b6afffa3cf25fcc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walnut and 1/4” angle with some teeth carved in for bite.
Well done! I have seen similar in catalogs and websites, but I like yours much better!
Thanks for sharing this.
-brino

The bad roads towards my work are shaking my cars to bits. On my way to work i've felt my daily driver losing power, when i parked it looked under it and see my fuel lines just hanging down. All the potholes and humps hand shake them loose, also from the sound i could hear the turbo being choked, so i stopped by the parts store bought me a new air filter, replaced it and got under it. The fuel lines pass under the frame rail at one spot and the supply line is almost all the way pinched that will explain why my fuel is freezing when cold. I attached the lines more securely, and will have to repair the line later. I'll have to see tomorrow if i've got all my power back, as of today because of the covid we have an moving restrictions from 8 pm till 5 am
IMG_20210331_165231_1.jpgIMG_20210404_093007.jpgIMG_20210404_093012.jpg

Today i was feeling very energetic, so after work i got straight to work at home, after 2 hours cleaning gearbox parts i dicaded i need to get rid of some old tires and clean up the garage a bit more. So i loaded the 605 with as many tires as i could, that i worked on yesterday and got its power back it may have a brake caliper sticking still, and took them to the tire shop, dismounted them loaded some of the better ones got all the rims and discarded the others, the guys working there were happy to get the old tires. I do miss the little niva for tasks like this, my back is hurting now from lifting all those tires in the trunk and seat in the sedan.
IMG_20210406_205143.jpg

Back