2021 POTD Thread Archive

Have you ever got the feeling your car knows when to break down. My dally drive decided i should be cold, half way across my country, i felt the heater being a bit week, but then it was fine. Next day blower works fine but no heat. I know those 90's peugeot's like the back of my hand so i know the blend door is not working. Unfortunately being french i had to take apart half my dash to get to the blend door motor. Took it out and apart and i found a broken gear, no problem i have spares, took 2 others and they also had the same problem, i know they were working that got me thinking maybe i can index the gear to its good tooth because the blend door only moves few degrees. And that is what i did, now it works. It took me few hours and a bit of a headache from being upside down under the dash. Don't be confused about the automatic marking on the centre console and three pedals, it use to be an automatic i've converted it to a 5 speed.
IMG_20210110_180743.jpgIMG_20210110_180749.jpgIMG_20210110_164012.jpgIMG_20210110_185052.jpg

The automatic transmission markings would certainly be confusing for a thief!
I have a funny story about those confusing transmission markings. Every year i'm taking all my cars for their safety inspection last year i took this car and they had a new young guy driving the cars in over the inspection pit. He started it and 2 min in he still isn't driving it in, so i walk toward it and i can hear him grinding the gears. Told him use the clutch, and he finally drove it in. Couple of days later i took the little niva for its inspection, the same young cocky guy stopped me and said i need to drive it thru. Got out and told him use the clutch the russians have not invented an automatic. The other guys there heard it and i think he may had told them what happened with the 605. He drove it thru and at the end at emission measuring he left it running and got out to get another car, half way one of the other guy at the inspection station much older told him you've scraped the men's bumper pointing at me, you need to pay for the damaged, the guy turn around and started walking towards the little niva and about 2 meters from it stopped and started swearing. All other people in there started laughing, the little niva's bumper is half a metre (20 inches) in the air. I looked at the older guy he said payback for grinding the gears the other day.
IMG_20200825_200001.jpg

The inspection pit is getting its use, my brothers Ford decided to run away on him. Thankfully there was enough space to stop without hurting anyone or doing any big damage. The reason was bad design of the handbrake cables, the factory used plastic retainers and one broke. I'm not impress, in my opinion it needs to be made from steel. Not wanting this to happen again and didn't want to wait for parts so i made me a slip on stop from brass on my lathe. I wanted to make one more for the other side but my brother was in a hurry, so i told him to be living it in gear to avoid having to chase it again. One more thing i've seen his fuel filter is from 07, so i should have it replaced.
IMG_20210111_161519.jpgIMG_20210111_161524.jpgIMG_20210111_162136.jpgIMG_20210111_172914.jpgIMG_20210111_173421.jpg

I bought a set of letter/number punches and the first thing I labeled looked like my 4 yr old granddaughter did it. The letters weren't aligned or spaced very well (but I managed to avoid making any letters backwards). So that definitely wasn't going to cut it and I decided I needed a way to hold the punches and maintain the line and proper spacing.

Dug around for something to make the holder with and decided that some 80/20 I had would be perfect. Some brass rod and some studs borrowed from my mill tooling and viola!

Pro-tip: When you mark the punches so you know which direction they face, double check that you didn't screw up!

pieces.jpgassembly.jpgtest.jpg

I bought a set of letter/number punches and the first thing I labeled looked like my 4 yr old granddaughter did it. The letters weren't aligned or spaced very well (but I managed to avoid making any letters backwards). So that definitely wasn't going to cut it and I decided I needed a way to hold the punches and maintain the line and proper spacing.

Dug around for something to make the holder with and decided that some 80/20 I had would be perfect. Some brass rod and some studs borrowed from my mill tooling and viola!

Pro-tip: When you mark the punches so you know which direction they face, double check that you didn't screw up!

View attachment 351012View attachment 351013View attachment 351014
That is awesome!

joe

Great solution and I just happen to have some 80/20 scraps ...

Thanks! It's one of the better concepts I've had that actually turned out exactly as a I wanted. Often times I dream something up and my limited machining talent runs out before I finish it.

Now I need to go back and look at all of the "symmetrical" stamps (H, I, O, S, 8 and 0) and see if they actually do have only one correct way. I suspect that's why the "S" on my TEST piece is slightly off. AR much? ;-)

Back