2021 POTD Thread Archive

I bought a set of letter/number punches and the first thing I labeled looked like my 4 yr old granddaughter did it. The letters weren't aligned or spaced very well (but I managed to avoid making any letters backwards). So that definitely wasn't going to cut it and I decided I needed a way to hold the punches and maintain the line and proper spacing.

Dug around for something to make the holder with and decided that some 80/20 I had would be perfect. Some brass rod and some studs borrowed from my mill tooling and viola!

Pro-tip: When you mark the punches so you know which direction they face, double check that you didn't screw up!
That is really awesome. Going to have to make one of them!

I bought a set of letter/number punches and the first thing I labeled looked like my 4 yr old granddaughter did it. The letters weren't aligned or spaced very well (but I managed to avoid making any letters backwards). So that definitely wasn't going to cut it and I decided I needed a way to hold the punches and maintain the line and proper spacing.

Dug around for something to make the holder with and decided that some 80/20 I had would be perfect. Some brass rod and some studs borrowed from my mill tooling and viola!

Pro-tip: When you mark the punches so you know which direction they face, double check that you didn't screw up!

View attachment 351012View attachment 351013View attachment 351014
man I thought about that like a year ago but whoever makes it first gets the credit, mass produce those might make the big bucks

That is such a cool jig you’ve come up with and a great use of 80/20 scrap(which I have). On another forum this conundrum was discussed about the spacing and orientation. Some of the old timers said the expensive old American made stamps were more uniform and therefore easier to line up but none in that discussion was the guy who did that kind of work for a living. What did you find out about flipping the S? Did it end up lining up? Some were discussing grinding the offending letters to get them to line up but I don’t remember anybody coming up with as nice of a solution for lining them up and holding them as your jig.

Nice Holder.
I was thinking of something similar but was also thinking I might make up some Punch Blanks slightly Shorter as Spacers to fill in the entire slot and help keep things tight together and allow for spaces between characters when needed.

Put in the Character needed - Whack it with the Hammer
Pull it out put in a short spacer then the next character....
And so on.

I wonder if the holder could be #D Printed ? ? ?

Those are cool but one place tonydi‘s design just wins hands down is price. Did you get a load of those multi holders? $70 for a single and around $300+ for the others! Wow! Unless one comes up used somewhere homey ain’t going to be getting one any time soon. The thing I wonder about with the multi holders is how it comes out. You would need to really whack it because it would be spreading the effective psi out depending on how many letter/numbers you have loaded.

Back