2x72 belt grinder build

After turning this, I decided I needed a bit better boring bar and ordered a Tungaloy 3/4” shank S12-SCLCR-3 boring bar and some matching iscar nonferrous inserts. Often I’m boring at >1” diameter, and using a 1/2” dia boring bar, needed about 2” extension for this today and was struggling a bit with chatter, the boring bar was singing. Besides, handy to keep a couple of similar boring bars, one with steel inserts and one with aluminum. Of course that means more toolholders, and my toolholder stand at the lathe is already full. The rabbit hole never ends …

Is it silly that I keep a spreadsheet with a list of insert tooling and inserts to keep track of them?

Ebay can be a good place to find offcuts for stuff like this. For instance:

Ha! Ironically @woodchucker pointed out the same ebay vendor in a DM. Yeah, that would have been an easier approach, so if I go this route again I’ll take advantage of that. The welding was worth doing once, as the problem gets harder to solve with bigger and bigger parts.

Is it silly that I keep a spreadsheet with a list of insert tooling and inserts to keep track of them?
Not silly, organized. My bet is that the spreadsheet includes where you bought them, the price and date.

My brain refuses to memorize the codes for all the tool holder/insert combinations. I keep a chart handy.

Not silly, organized. My bet is that the spreadsheet includes where you bought them, the price and date.

My brain refuses to memorize the codes for all the tool holder/insert combinations. I keep a chart handy.
No! Not the price! I don't want to know how much I've spent going down this rabbit hole. (Quaking in terror)

Yeah, too many codes and lists. I pull out the sharpie and mark the box of inserts with S, or AL (steel or aluminum). Otherwise I'm forever looking up which insert I need. HSS at least I can see the tool angles.

A little more progress today. Got the arm done that holds the table. Started on the upright piece that holds the two front rollers and the platten. Bandsawed it to rough shape. Started drilling holes. Once I get all the holes done I’ll clean up the rest of the perimeter, and cut the pivot slot, both of which will require using the rotary table.

Posting these from the phone, hopefully tomorrow I can add the CAD pics to match.
8B30B358-7E28-4572-BDD3-82BFB2385D40.jpeg
46698FF7-0E11-4F5F-B8B6-1285B23230F2.jpeg

1349D0A8-D967-499A-9D51-163CF721D278.jpeg

I have one piece that calls for a 2.5 inch round piece of steel, part of the hub on the motor. Decided to buy a 12’ stick of 3” 1018 for the stockpile.

Last edited:
Randal, can you upload higher res images? Those are as big as they go and I can't see the detail.

Did the crew show up today? or is Saturday a day off?

Back