3/4hp variable speed dc motor with control, from an untapped source

I decided to jump on this bandwagon! :D

Just bid on one on eBay... so if you see one posted by "yuyuping_168" could I ask KINDLY that you not outbid ME??? Please? Thank you.

edit: forgot to note. I was going to poke fun at a lousy translation of "treadmill" that came out as "walking foot" - then realized it was a sewing term! Ooooops! :O

Well - THAT auction ran away at the last second, but...

Take a look at this one (I'm going to grab one - it's a buy-it-now!): http://www.ebay.ca/item/271135801557

Screen Shot 2013-03-11 at 1.16.40 PM.png

... The motor looks like it would be easy to adapt to a custom bracket (or left as is).
There LOOKS like almost t-slots in the extrusion of the housing, and there's probably screw holes in the face where the belt guard is.
Or you might just be able to remove the control box and run it (but that'd be boring! :D)
edit: 3:08PM march 11, order placed. Let's see how long it takes to make it up to the left coast of Canada!
edit: 12:40PM march 14. Still not marked 'shipped', and no response after 2 messages to the seller. Nervous.
edit: 1:35pm march 14. Finally got a response from the seller saying it has shipped and they will send a tracking number.

Screen Shot 2013-03-11 at 1.16.40 PM.png

Last edited:
Thanks for this info, first day on the forum and already buying more toys

Marvin

Quick question about these, and my apologies if I missed it, but are these sewing machine motors able to stay running for long?

Just wondering if these were actually designed for "burst" type running rather than for long periods of time for milling or lathe use.

Thanks,
Dave

Looks like a lot of replies were lost here and there - including this thread!

So, to rehash... I still haven't got my setup from the eBay seller.
They've blatantly lied to me at least twice, saying in emails that they've sent the item.
Well, it finally DID ship out a week after I paid for it (which was about 15 seconds after buying it!). It's managed to go from Cali to Kentucky in 2 weeks now.
Maybe if I'm lucky I'll see it in another week or 2?

If you ever have the misfortune to deal with this place (A&M Industrial Supply) - all I can do is wish you best of luck.
Their customer "support" people on the phone suck too.

Sure hope the motor turns out better than all the hassle! Can you imagine if I had to return it now?! :D

Aha! IT ARRIVED!

Well, looks like a good little unit ... from the minimal testing I did with it anyhow.

Straight forward V pulley.

Has several modes, including soft start on/off, speed set (1600-4800) in 100rpm increments, a synchro input which is meant for sewing (let's you auto stop the needle at the top for threading) but who knows what "we" can use that for....

The removable control looks pretty easy to adapt to somewhere else. Simple plug with 5 (4?) wires on it. So extending would be easy. It's all just screwed down in modules.

Only thing I don't like so far is that to put it in reverse you have to push and hold a button the panel for 3 seconds. Then do it again to go forward.... Bit of a PITA if you were trying to do power tapping with your drill press for example.

Power seems pretty good. And it looks like its got an actual feedback loop, since even at the lowest speed, as I slowed the pulley by hand I could hear it ramping up the power to keep up the speed.

The motor is VERY quiet.

So, with the good torque at low speeds, and the wide rpm range - I think this will work great on my drill press. I'll post pics when I get around to THIS project.

Oh - and it seems it pointless to look for "Goldstar" as the ad title calls it. It's NOT the Goldstar (aka LG) that comes to mind.

The manual is obviously a very generic one, and the "Goldstar" word has been stamped onto the cover with a rubber stamp!
Quite poorly I might add. :D

IMG_2094.JPG

IMG_2094.JPG

to get the most from your d.c. motor, select pulleys or a jackshaft that will run your machine at the same as original.
Using a treadmill motor and controller on my Boxford lathe with a jackshaft to replicate the original 1150 rpm motor.
works great!
walter in Alberta!

wonder how well it would work to convert a 14" wood-bandsaw to metal. 3/4hp might be a tad low?

timbertoes;114 776 said:
wonder how well it would work to convert a 14" wood-bandsaw to metal. 3/4hp might be a tad low?

plenty of power but you really got to slow it down for metal.
used a starter pinion and ring gear from a chevy to slow mine. need a reversing switch if going to cut both ways.

Back