70 C10 resto-mod (was Chevy culture shock)

@guero_gordo

ahhh, that's a real pickup. not the jacked up pickups with big cabins and small beds that you see today.

the type of pu that you could have your girl sitting next to you.
they type that took a full sheet of plywood in the back above the wheel wells. with stake holders on the sides, slots in the bed to hold 2x4 across ..

is that an automatic or 3 on the column?

pretty easy to see the two hood sections where I beat it to death using the DA polisher at too slow a speed for the pad to spin with any energy, which makes it an oscillating tool. I mostly got away with that on the fender and driver's door because the weight of the tool wasn't over the pad, and I moved pretty fast, which is also wrong, but sometimes two wrongs almost make a right ;-)

This came in the mail from quadrajetparts.com. Wish I had a lathe so I could make the tool myself, but itiswhatitis. A little hard to see, but they turned down a drill so it cuts on the last 3/4" or so and the front functions as a pilot. Included a simple rod to seat the bushings as well.
Primary throttle shaft had enough slop to create a significant vacuum leak. Bored it out and re-bushed with oil-impregnated bronze. I'll bolt her back on tomorrow and see if the idle mix screws do something now that she's not sucking air (and not flooding the bowl, and not leaking at the accel pump....:rolleyes:)

1634714256677.png

molygraph is like herpes, or glitter. Never notice it until you've spread it everywhere, and can never get rid of it

Folks claim you can just look down the primaries and see whether the accelerator pump is working, but I'll be damned if I can climb far enough back there to see. Maybe they just assume you've taken the hood off, or perhaps these are owned exclusively by circus performers.

Been working way too much, so even though I bolted the q-jet back on weeks ago I didn't get time in to troubleshoot what wasn't working. Bowl wasn't filling, needle valve is stuck closed.
Beast runs fine when the bowl is primed, but shortly leans out and dies. Cracked the filter housing and fuel got that far, so clearly the pump was working, vacuum tested from the filter housing and it proved the valve was closed. Triple T technology (tap-tap-tap) had no effect. Tried with a little air pressure instead, no joy.
I had bench tested this with vacuum (upside down)when I put the valve in the seat after rebushing the throttle rods, but something must have bound up in final assembly.
Gotta pop off the air horn again. This time for sure

TDC on the compression stroke.

Put finger over spark plug hole while turning engine to find out if you are on the compression stroke.
once you get the points exactly right check the dwell with a vom and mark the dial , then you can use it to set the points right every time ., quick and easy

Back