833 motor

nighthawkFmobil

Registered
Registered
Has anyone on here swapped the 833 motor for a more powerful one on either the T or Tv? I've seen the guy on YouTube running a 3hp motor on his 833T. Curious if anyone else has a similar experience to share.

Has anyone on here swapped the 833 motor for a more powerful one on either the T or Tv? I've seen the guy on YouTube running a 3hp motor on his 833T. Curious if anyone else has a similar experience to share.
Why would you need one? I used 6" diameter cutter on this machine w/o a need for more power. It is quite a big and heavy cutter and I will not use it everyday but lack of power was not the issue.

With gearing the PM833T it is very powerful, more HP/torque is probably beyond the machine stiffness and the gearbox design.

If you are referring to the same guy on YouTube that I saw, he is running the motor at 8,000 RPM, striped the gears and was planning on belt driving it...

Ariel

Why would you need one? I used 6" diameter cutter on this machine w/o a need for more power. It is quite a big and heavy cutter and I will not use it everyday but lack of power was not the issue.

With gearing the PM833T it is very powerful, more HP/torque is probably beyond the machine stiffness and the gearbox design.

If you are referring to the same guy on YouTube that I saw, he is running the motor at 8,000 RPM, striped the gears and was planning on belt driving it...

Ariel
Yes, I was referring to the guy running his gear head at 8k rpm. If one was to upgrade the motor on the T I would assume it would be in a cnc situation in order to get more top end speed to be able to handle moving more aluminum faster as well as retaining the torque of the gearhead. Not that it would be reliable like that forever. Seems like the best route for a great all around machine would be a VMC(typically too big for my current space) or a knee mill(used market is not so great in my area and I'd like to keep the machine cost under 5-6k. I could stretch it if I absolutely have to but those are slim picking coming from pm as well. And not as appealing to possibly convert to cnc). The other option would be the 940v which is also a couple months out and I'm just really wanting to get my hands on a mill. I could wait it out if I have to. I really want a tawain made machine.

I was more curious about the TV. PM is pretty much on backorder with everything I'd want except for the 833TV which is super tempting but I am worried I'd be disappointed with the torque because I dont have plans to exclusively work with aluminum. I like to experiment with other metals. I want something I can grow into. I know its possible with good cutters and light cuts but I'd hate to struggle with general milling operations in everything but aluminum. Which is where a bigger motor and 2 pulley setup would be nice. For example my 1228 2 pulley belt drive with a 2hp motor will struggle to drill SS. It turns SS with carbide inserts and hss tools just fine as long as I'm not hogging it. Actually I'd go as far as to say that it does a fantastic job. But it's pretty easy to stall it out while drilling if I'm not real careful and that's with low gear. I'm not exactly sure the ratio but I know it's not 1:1.

I dont have any experience with mills but I'd assume a machine like the stock 833tv would struggle to drill ss and titanium. It would probably be ok with a boring bar and light cuts. And it would probably be ok with end mills with light cuts. I mean even if it would perform as my 1228 does I'd be super satisfied but the 1:1 gearing worries me in that regard.

I had my eyes set on the 833tv a while back. It's a beautiful made in tawain machine at a great price by my standards and perfect size for my space. I'm afraid I may have to wait for the 940v or possibly wait for a 833T which is even further out. Waiting two months sounds like torture. I want to get to work learning a mill. A motor/pulley modification would forfeit the warranty as well as the gamble of being down a couple months makes the prospects less appealing.

I can hear a voice tell me patience is a virtue. Haha oh boy

Last edited:
Even with all that said. I'm not totally opposed to getting something that is more geared towards running aluminum. For me time is up there on the priority list and I've heard of shipments that were supposed to be 2 months taking more like 5 months. I'm nearing obsession and I'd like to accelerate my learni ng. I see myself milling more aluminum than anything especially starting out. I just like to leave the options open and my tendency to experiment makes it hard to pull the trigger. I could always get a tv and then take a hit and sell it on the used market if it's not up to my standards. Heck theres a guy in cali selling his 728vt for 3k. Something tells me he wont have to accept a whole lot less than that the way inventory is going. https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/tls/d/la-habra-pm-728v-benchtop-milling/7298514265.html

I have a TV and I've not been disappointed in low end torque. I do more than aluminum. Personally, I love the ability to drill and power tap without changing anything other than the bit. The way I use the mill I'd be changing gears too much with the T.

I would say chill out and wait for what you want. It is a journey, not a race.
As Ahazi mentioned, you will run out of rigidity before you run out of power with the 833T. Can't speak to the 833TV but unless you are trying to hog out titanium, I can't imagine it being an issue.
The 833 weighs a little over double what that 728 weighs. If you buy that one and try hogging material like you want that thing will be jumping around like a mexican jumping bean.

I would say chill out and wait for what you want. It is a journey, not a race.
As Ahazi mentioned, you will run out of rigidity before you run out of power with the 833T. Can't speak to the 833TV but unless you are trying to hog out titanium, I can't imagine it being an issue.
The 833 weighs a little over double what that 728 weighs. If you buy that one and try hogging material like you want that thing will be jumping around like a mexican jumping bean.
Yes sir I ruled out the 728 after my first mill post. Yall are so nice to give a crazy guy the time of day.

I own the 833TV but I just received it and haven't had alot of time yet milling anything. So I can't tell you about low RPM torque.....yet. However, I went into the purchase knowing that I would mostly be machining aluminum. When setting my machine up I did want to make it as rigid as I could for those times I will be machining something other than aluminum. I want to avoid the "jumping around" that 7milesup mentioned above. I ended up pouring a 420 pound solid concrete base with anchor bolts so I could bolt the machine base down nice and solid. I also needed the extra height since I'm tall. With everything you see in the pic, it weighs in around 1400 pounds.
M.jpg

Last edited:
Lord have mercy that is a beautiful setup. Any thoughts of adding epoxy granite as well? Or would that he overkill? Does anyone know if adding epoxy granite voids the warranty?

Back