833 motor

The vertical Z axis gib seems like it quite simply is not thick enough before I run out of travel on the adjustment screws.

I had a similar problem on the X axis on my 833TV. I was unable to tighten the right side tight enough to stop X travel. I simply cut 1/2" off the "thin" end of the gib giving me enough room to further tighten it. I think PM may have sent me a gib but they require fitting so I tried cutting it to what would happen. Worked perfectly.

Are you saying you can't tighten it enough to stop Z travel?

I was actually going to take the gibs out and put them on my surface grinder. However, these gibs are tapered along their length. I am not a gib expert, but this is the first time that I have seen gibs tapered along their length. This of course makes them nearly impossible to "true" up with the surface grinder. I have not stoned them but at this point I am not sure how much good it would do. The vertical Z axis gib seems like it quite simply is not thick enough before I run out of travel on the adjustment screws.
I do have more work to do on them before I change paths. The linear rails is just something I have in my back pocket.
I don't think I've ever seen a gib that wasn't tapered. Shims and pressure bars, yes, but not gibs. Without a taper, they don't adjust. You might find this helpful. He has several videos on this topic, so go back a couple episodes if you want to see the start, but this is how he sets up the grinder to work on tapered gibs:

The vertical Z axis gib seems like it quite simply is not thick enough before I run out of travel on the adjustment screws.
I have that same issue with my X axis gib. By the time I get it adjusted close to where I like it, the thinner end sticks out far enough to where the retaing bolt is only holding in by a few threads. PM is sending me a new one.

I have a TV and I've not been disappointed in low end torque. I do more than aluminum. Personally, I love the ability to drill and power tap without changing anything other than the bit. The way I use the mill I'd be changing gears too much with the T.
sir,

I'm curious if you have experience using face mills or dovetail cutters in steel with your 833TV? What would you say is your drilling capacity in steel? I read through the 833T manual but i cant find the info. It would be nice if they had an updated 833TV manual. It seems like based on the sfm of most general purpose mill cutters the TV would be ok with proper cutters and light cuts with most operations except for the drilling. I don't mind going slow at this point. Did you get the power z with your machine?

I have that same issue with my X axis gib. By the time I get it adjusted close to where I like it, the thinner end sticks out far enough to where the retaing bolt is only holding in by a few threads. PM is sending me a new one.
If you wanted to make a new one but thicker, here is the process to mill the taper.

And this is how you do the dovetail sides:

I do have power Z on mine but rarely use it. I honestly have no way to say what the drilling capacity is. I’ve had it at the slowest speed power tapping and stopped the motor a couple times. I don’t recall if that was steel or aluminum though.

Exactly.

If you wanted to make a new one but thicker, here is the process to mill the taper.

And this is how you do the dovetail sides:

Thanks David for that.
My first mill was an el-cheapo Chinese one. Probably Horror Fright. Bought it used from a guy. I don't remember those gibs being tapered along their length. That was my only experience with gibs up until now.

I do have a Suburban Sine plate that I could use. Wish it was magnetic like Keith's is, but it is not. Actually learned something in the first 2 minutes of that first video about surface grinders.

I like how he used shim stock to determine how much thicker his new gib needed to be. I could do the same with my X axis gib when fitting my new one. My issue is that I don't have a surface grinder. Wondering if I could get close enough with the right surface finish from milling and finishing with a stone. I've never fit a gib before but I'm sure going to give it a try.

I like how he used shim stock to determine how much thicker his new gib needed to be. I could do the same with my X axis gib when fitting my new one. My issue is that I don't have a surface grinder. Wondering if I could get close enough with the right surface finish from milling and finishing with a stone. I've never fit a gib before but I'm sure going to give it a try.
Tipton,
If/when you're successful please do a a quick write up on you're dinsings. It seems like this could become a common thing with these 833 machines.

Back