833 motor

I have a TV and I've not been disappointed in low end torque. I do more than aluminum. Personally, I love the ability to drill and power tap without changing anything other than the bit. The way I use the mill I'd be changing gears too much with the T.
How are you power tapping with the 833TV?

I'm not sure I understand the question. I drill a hole, chamfer it and tap at a very low speed.

I'm not sure I understand the question. I drill a hole, chamfer it and tap at a very low speed.
Good to know. I do a lot of power tapping on my large drill press. I assumed the 833tv won’t have the torque required at low speed. I just got my 833tv set up and will try some power tapping to see how it performs.

I normally tap small holes, nothing even 1/4", and I've managed to break more than one so the torque is there. I don't tap steel often though.

Good to know. I do a lot of power tapping on my large drill press. I assumed the 833tv won’t have the torque required at low speed. I just got my 833tv set up and will try some power tapping to see how it performs.
I have an 833TV and I frequently use it for power tapping. It will handle 1/2"-13 threads in mild steel providing some conditions are met. First, torque seems to be related to spindle speed. At the lowest end of the machine's speed range (60 rpm +/-), torque drops off significantly. I find that at around 120-130 rpm, the machine has significantly more torque and I'm still able to control things. 2nd is using a high-quality, sharp tap. This video
demonstrates the different torque requirements for several brands of new taps under the same conditions. A good quality spiral flute tap generally works best...even when threading through holes. 3rd is liberal use of a good cutting fluid.

If you plan on power tapping holes larger than 1/2" in steel, the 833TV is probably not the best machine choice.

I have an 833TV and I frequently use it for power tapping. It will handle 1/2"-13 threads in mild steel providing some conditions are met. First, torque seems to be related to spindle speed. At the lowest end of the machine's speed range (60 rpm +/-), torque drops off significantly. I find that at around 120-130 rpm, the machine has significantly more torque and I'm still able to control things. 2nd is using a high-quality, sharp tap. This video
demonstrates the different torque requirements for several brands of new taps under the same conditions. A good quality spiral flute tap generally works best...even when threading through holes. 3rd is liberal use of a good cutting fluid.

If you plan on power tapping holes larger than 1/2" in steel, the 833TV is probably not the best machine choice.
This correlates well with this test. It is also another correlation to the analysis I did in this published document (pages 10-11). It's a testament to the limits of running that motor at below 10 Hz. From the referenced document:

PM833TV.jpg

Good to know. I do a lot of power tapping on my large drill press. I assumed the 833tv won’t have the torque required at low speed. I just got my 833tv set up and will try some power tapping to see how it perfored

sry David beat me to it

are we talking about power or torque because a vfd driven motor has 100% of rated torque almost at 0 rpm. not really but close.
HP, not torque. David's chart correlates well with my observations. At low RPM, there is very little power available to drive a tap or large drill.

are we talking about power or torque because a vfd driven motor has 100% of rated torque almost at 0 rpm. not really but close.
Your “not really” applies here. At 50 RPM the 833TV motor is being driven at something like 3-5 Hz. This is clearly below the nominal torque range of the motor. One might argue this torque range could be broadened with a vector drive motor and tuned VFD. Unlikely that’s what is in the 833TV.

IMG_2452.jpeg

But the truth is in these real world tests. I’m not surprised the torque improves measurably at 120-130 RPM - which would be more like 10-15 Hz.

Back