833 motor

Lord have mercy that is a beautiful setup. Any thoughts of adding epoxy granite as well? Or would that he overkill? Does anyone know if adding epoxy granite voids the warranty?
Do you mean add epoxy granite to the base or column some how?

I think adding more weight at/under the chip pan would help especially after adding weight to the base.

I think you will find rigidity to be an issue in the dovetail ways more than the machine itself moving. I have a metal base that I build for mine and while it may not weigh 400+ lbs, it does add a lot to the machine itself. I hate standard bases that come with machines. They are usually lightweight and have very little in the way of functionality.
Honestly, right now I am chasing some rigidity issues with my 833T. Mine is solely in the dovetail ways though and predominantly in the Z axis. Finding that balance of gib adjustment is challenging. I have even considered even doing a linear guide conversion to the Z, but that would require some major rework and I certainly have not exhausted my options with the gibs yet.

Oh, Tipton.... you did a super nice job with that concrete base. Love it.

I think you will find rigidity to be an issue in the dovetail ways more than the machine itself moving. I have a metal base that I build for mine and while it may not weigh 400+ lbs, it does add a lot to the machine itself. I hate standard bases that come with machines. They are usually lightweight and have very little in the way of functionality.
Honestly, right now I am chasing some rigidity issues with my 833T. Mine is solely in the dovetail ways though and predominantly in the Z axis. Finding that balance of gib adjustment is challenging. I have even considered even doing a linear guide conversion to the Z, but that would require some major rework and I certainly have not exhausted my options with the gibs yet.

What operations/materials are amplifying the rigidity of the of the dovetails?

I have been working in steel (not sure of its composition) along with some welds on cast iron.

EDIT. I should have prefaced that with the statement that I am a neophyte when it comes to machining steel so it may just be that I have the wrong speeds or similar.

I'm curious if you've removed and stoned the gibs, then tested the fit by bluing up the dovetails. I have been shocked at how poorly some of the gibs are made on the Taiwan machines. Not a lot of effort went into fitting the gibs - superficial scratch marks to emulate scraping, but really poor fitting once you blue things up and check out contact areas. I would spend a day on that aspect before moving to linear rails. I improved the rigidity of my RF-45 considerably by taking the time to precision fit the gibs. The biggest improvement was on the column dovetail gib.

I was actually going to take the gibs out and put them on my surface grinder. However, these gibs are tapered along their length. I am not a gib expert, but this is the first time that I have seen gibs tapered along their length. This of course makes them nearly impossible to "true" up with the surface grinder. I have not stoned them but at this point I am not sure how much good it would do. The vertical Z axis gib seems like it quite simply is not thick enough before I run out of travel on the adjustment screws.
I do have more work to do on them before I change paths. The linear rails is just something I have in my back pocket.

Back