A Floating Chucking Reamer-Why not!

It happens. My dad was a high school shop teacher and told kids to never wipe chips off the saddle, bed, cutting tool, etc. with their hands; use a chip brush. He was doing a demo and of course used his hand. He knew right away he'd cut himself but squeezed tightly with other fingers to stop the bleeding; never missed a beat, no one knew any different. He couldn't let on he'd done something wrong as the instructor. That's where he and I differ, I'd have used it as a teaching moment; "Hey, remember what I told you not to do! Well, here's why!"

Bruce
Your dad was a shop teacher?
No wonder you are so smart!!

I just make simple bushings with over size bore (.003-.005 over) and these float enough to make alignment nearly perfect.
see pic……. Always get near perfect results.

Attachments

• IMG_0087.jpeg
    IMG_0087.jpeg
    479.8 KB · Views: 34
Your dad was a shop teacher?
He was! He taught in the Mason, MI (two years) and Waverly districts (Lansing, MI) for 30 years. He was the youngest president of what was called the "Michigan Industrial Education Society" (now called Michigan Industrial and Technology Education Society), master teacher of the year honoree, and distinguished service award winner. https://www.facebook.com/MITESmichigan/

Not many have his work ethic, I sure don't! Our family was watching TV on a Friday evening, dad cranked back his Laz-y-Boy chair and started sawing them off. Our neighbors probably heard him too! I woke him up around 8:00PM and said, "hey, if you're so tired, why don't you just go to bed? We're trying to watch the TV!" What I hadn't accounted for was his work week. He'd get up around 6:30 AM to get ready for school, get home around 4:30. Read the paper, eat dinner, watch Walter Cronkite, then head to the basement to work his second job: A photofinishing business named Hansen's Photo. He'd usually get to bed between 12:00 AM and 2:00 AM, then start it all over again with a 6:30 AM get up for school. He did that for 20 years. We miss him every day!

Bruce

Circa around 1964; bow ties were clip-on, the thick eyebrows were real! And you wonder why he'd call me a smart *ss!
1701101681424.png

1701101733282.png

1701102816474.png

1701101814393.png

Last edited:
beautiful finish you're getting there!
I’m loving this stainless. the drive plate is 4130. The surface finish is good though.
I think the collar will be brass. Maybe I’ll make it out of low carbon the first go round just to get my measurements and fit right before I waste any of my expensive brass.

I think I’ll head back over to my scrap metal place to see if they have anymore.
I bought about 2 feet of 1 3/4” round and square stock Stainless steel the last time I was there.
I paid about $75. It would have been over $400 from an online source.

He was! He taught in the Mason, MI (two years) and Waverly districts (Lansing, MI) for 30 years. He was the youngest president of what was called the "Michigan Industrial Education Society" (now called Michigan Industrial and Technology Education Society), master teacher of the year honoree, and distinguished service award winner. https://www.facebook.com/MITESmichigan/

Not many have his work ethic, I sure don't! Our family was watching TV on a Friday evening, dad cranked back his Laz-y-Boy chair and started sawing them off. Our neighbors probably heard him too! I woke him up around 8:00PM and said, "hey, if you're so tired, why don't you just go to bed? We're trying to watch the TV!" What I hadn't accounted for was his work week. He'd get up around 6:30 AM to get ready for school, get home around 4:30. Read the paper, eat dinner, watch Walter Cronkite, then head to the basement to work his second job: A photofinishing business named Hansen's Photo. He'd usually get to bed between 12:00 AM and 2:00 AM, then start it all over again with a 6:30 AM get up for school. He did that for 20 years. We miss him every day!

Bruce

Circa around 1964; bow ties were clip-on, the thick eyebrows were real! And you wonder why he'd call me a smart *ss!
View attachment 468425

View attachment 468426

View attachment 468431

View attachment 468427
Now I see why you are such a smart ash and good looking!

I made a start on the outer collar.
Glad I did. I need to identify the ID for the minimum ID to begin the thread cutting.
I got her done but I'm a bit sloppy.
I'll make the adjustments in the second try in the brass.
But, it fits!!

Attachments

• thread 1.jpg
    thread 1.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 14
  • thread2.jpg
    thread2.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 14
After my second attempt to cut the internal threads in the test collar, I have a very good fit.
The male threads I cut were within the machinists handbook tolerances for 3B threads-barely.
I'm undersized so I had to adjust the minor diameter for the perfect fit.
It is very satisfying to get it right. This is a stretch for me :)

Now on to the brass!

Edit >>>>
Oh boy. That was fun. The best part....It works.
I'm going to set up my dividing head or spin indexer tomorrow to put some grip features down the length of the collar
I couldn't be happier with the fit and finish!!

Attachments

• fit.jpg
    fit.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 32
  • fit 2.jpg
    fit 2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 33
  • chuck 1.jpg
    chuck 1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 27
  • chuck 2.jpg
    chuck 2.jpg