A Floating Chucking Reamer-Why not!

Nicely done, Jeff. How much float did you end up with? I'm not seeing it in the pics, and I am confused by the taper in the nose that would serve to align the parts with the (primary) axis of the tool. I'm sure I'm just missing something. Good work!

Nicely done, Jeff. How much float did you end up with? I'm not seeing it in the pics, and I am confused by the taper in the nose that would serve to align the parts with the (primary) axis of the tool. I'm sure I'm just missing something. Good work!
I really struggled with the drawings. I asked myself the same thing, how can it float if the collar locks up the inner workings.
Once I lock it up, you can drill with it with concentric confidence. Once I unscrew the collar about one turn, I have enough movement to allow the reamer to float. It's a good design my friend.
Lots of fun to build!!

Aha, so it has two modes, concentric (repeatable) and free. That could be useful vice a typical "one mode" floating holder of either the screw machine type or pin plate type. Now that I'm no longer befuddled, I see the full glory of the project. I suppose I should have watched the video you posted at the beginning...

Aha, so it has two modes, concentric (repeatable) and free. That could be useful vice a typical "one mode" floating holder of either the screw machine type or pin plate type. Now that I'm no longer befuddled, I see the full glory of the project. I suppose I should have watched the video you posted at the beginning...
When I first saw the video, I was very impressed by Nigel's skill set.
He made the plans available to anyone who inquired.
This is the first time I have followed detailed plans.
There was still some guessing and deductions made based on common mechanical sense but in the end I couldn't be happier with the results.

Yes, the collar is tightened for concentric drilling for example, loosen the collar one full turn which is now ready for the chucking reamer.
Can’t wait to try it out.

Beeyootiful Jeff! Only comment - is the drill chuck threaded on to a hard shoulder? Only reason I ask is that I've made arbors with just the thread and no shoulder and been disappointed with the runout

Back