A hand held drill chuck that doesn't s*%k

Hey, you can't tell us that & not tell us what method worked for you! :D

The second one you linked is for a machine tool (DP, mill, etc). Can't use chucks like that. Well you could but there is no through hole & you can't drill one in a keyless chuck like that. No through hole means you can't use the retaining screw & the chuck will very likely unscrew itself if used in reverse.

Hey, you can't tell us that & not tell us what method worked for you! :D

The second one you linked is for a machine tool (DP, mill, etc). Can't use chucks like that. Well you could but there is no through hole & you can't drill one in a keyless chuck like that. No through hole means you can't use the retaining screw & the chuck will very likely unscrew itself if used in reverse.
Post #38, says how I did it. Ninja edit.

So #1 is ok? I like the metal knurling, rather than all rubber style.

First one looks like it would work Second one looks nice but might unbalance the drill?

This one might also work.

I think that chuck is ugly as hell but that's just me. I prefer something more basic looking like the one I linked in post 13 (same price). Really it's your preference though. Also be sure to check what I mentioned in post 13 also.

If stick out/length is important, look for the styles that don't have that nut on the nose. That nut I believe is for aiding in removal.

@darkzero how do you tighten and loosen the chuck you linked to in #13? What do I hold on to? Remember that my drill doesn't have a lock to it. The all black is more attractive, but, I don't understand how to physically tighten the chuck. The one I linked to I would hold the silver knurl in one hand and lock with my other hand.

Interesting thread.
As Dark pointed out, the one listed here Rohm Supra is an industrial chuck, like an Albrecht. It will not work on your drill. As DZ pointed out, you cannot access the retaining screw through that type of chuck. There is really no way to get it to work on hand held drill.

Ah, that spindle brake, forgot about that again. I see why you are looking at the one you linked. I haven't had a drill with no lock since the 90s but honestly I don't ever remember using 2 hands to tighten the chuck back then. I know, not recommended but I'm pretty sure I used the common bad habit of spinning the motor while gripping the chuck collar to tighten/loosen then.

Also, for what it is worth, I recently purchased a Milwaukee 18 volt Fuel drill. I HATE the chuck on that damn thing. Drill bits always come loose and you have to stop and re-tighten, that is if the drill bit didn't already fall out onto the floor.

So it looks like #1 it is. Never developed that bad habit. It always seemed the chuck wouldn't tighten enough that way.

Back