A lightweight temperature monitoring solution

I’m sadly giving up on this project, or at least on the current approach :apologize:

First of all the movement counter value turned out not to be the only value that is intermittently omitted from the data which causes the rest of the columns to shift. This is clearly a more major issue with the ruuvitag-listener package, because this time we’re talking about non-null values :guilty: I contacted the developer a few weeks ago, but haven’t got a response.

An another big issue I’m facing is the filesystem, which on an RPi is rather prone to breaking. If I at some point decide to give this approach an another go, I will definitely follow Chris Dzombak's advice for a long-running Raspberry Pi.

Thanks,
Jussi
Every RPI I have ever owned loses WiFi in the stock configuration. What has worked for me for RPI3, RPI4 and RPI5 (so far) is to turn off WiFi power management. I need to check this on my RPI2 which has the unsettling issue of losing it's WiFi connection. This RPI2 controls my irrigation system in the summer. Every so often it drops off the network. It's annoying to have to restart the controller as it is in a hard place to get to in my basement.

I've stopped using SD cards for most of my RPI's. Instead I use a cheap SSD and a USB2/3 to SATA adapter. The SSD's are faster and less likely to suffer from quality issues.

One of my RPI4's is connected via ethernet and uses a SSD. It's been up for over a year. I don't have enough time on the WiFi connected ones to see if the power management OFF is as reliable.

That's a bummer.

I probably have a spare more BME 280 board here. It's pretty simple. BME280 sensor, and a micro. It spits data out a TTL serial port. Have one running one sample a second for close to 2 years now.
In my case, it dumps data to an old win 7 box running TeraTerm.

Dan

I've stopped using SD cards for most of my RPI's. Instead I use a cheap SSD and a USB2/3 to SATA adapter. The SSD's are faster and less likely to suffer from quality issues.
An SSD would indeed help with the filesystem issue. Maybe I’ll come up with an alternative to the ruuvitag-listener package and start over :grin:

That's a bummer.

I probably have a spare more BME 280 board here. It's pretty simple. BME280 sensor, and a micro. It spits data out a TTL serial port. Have one running one sample a second for close to 2 years now.
In my case, it dumps data to an old win 7 box running TeraTerm.

Dan
BME280 is definitely one of the options that intrigue me the most! Apparently it could be made to work with the below solution fairly easy.

Back