A Project Quest

ok so you mean the handle that turns the pinion moves in and out with the table.

Bill your right...been awhile had to look at a surface grinder to refresh my memory

I was thinking about the old Reids. The handle didn't move with the table on those. But most do.

The handle is on the saddle and moves with the table on the Boyer Shultz. The rack is on the bottom of the table. The pinion under the rack. I didn't understand about the mag chuck. It merely mounts on the table.

Motor and Spindle mount mock up will be done tomorrow Mark. Should have the whole mock up done by Monday wake up. I making up for lost time. Kinda sore right now so I'm calling it a day.

"Bill"

Tentative Spindle Housing Mark. Sending you one via snail mail. Yours will be dimensioned. I will leave the Spindle design up to you. Use the Lovejoy Coupling we discussed if you can. Feel free to make it larger in places. Bearings are up to you. Have fun. Just sent Mark. Delivery Date, Tuesday 5/24

"Bill"

102_1217.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Time for the rest of you to put on the thinking caps. While I told Mark the bearings were his choice what would you suggest and why. Anything goes here. The motor is a 3/4 HP turning 3450 RPM.

Also, earlier in this thread there was a comment not to use the Lovejoy Coupling. Your thoughts on this also. Please add your reasons fore or against this Coupling.

"Bill"

The only concern I can think of with the Lovejoy coupling is the backlash, or slop, in the connection. But this is a common coupling in CNC equipment, so my concerns are probably unfounded.

That's a pretty wide open task, Bill. Only about 175 questions arise when making the optimum bearing selection.

Reactions: ome
Back