A Project Quest

You are right Tony, it's open to all so they could learn more about bearings and their application. Go for it fellas, class is in session.

"Bill"

Reactions: ome
If you are talking about a Lovejoy coupling for the motor/spindle, I would think that would be a good choice. It is loaded primarily in one direction so backlash is not an issue. An advantage also is that the resilient spider will help damp some of the high frequency vibrations from the motor that might affect surface finish.

As far as spindle bearings, that's a tough one. I'm thinking precision angular contact. Maybe preloaded doubles on both ends of the housing?

Two types of bearings are under consideration. Matched Double Row Angular Ball Bearings as Jim said and Matched precision Tapered Roller Bearings. You fellas take it from there. I am going to sit this question out unless needed.

"Billy G"

If terms like Radial Play, End Play, Loading etc. are used, would it be possible for those using the term give a brief description for the very new. I worked in a bearing plant for 32 years, I have no problem understanding but there may be those that don't. There are a lot of people that buy the wrong bearing for a job, only because they don't understand the basics. We have a unique chance here to teach and learn. Thank you.

"Bill"

For starters:

Types of loads --- Radial, Axial, Co-Axial and Thrust are the ones of concern here.

Angular Contact Bearing --- A type of Ball Bearing whose internal clearances and ball race location results in a definite contact angle between the races and the balls when the bearing is in use.

Thrust Bearing --- A bearing that distributes its load parallel to the shaft, usually used to reduce end play.

That's just a couple , LOL, the Angular Contact is what we are looking at.

"Bill"

Last edited by a moderator:
The only concern I can think of with the Lovejoy coupling is the backlash, or slop, in the connection. But this is a common coupling in CNC equipment, so my concerns are probably unfounded.

Spindle direction is constant, is backlash a concern?

Backlash is there, yes, but because the spindle direction is always clockwise and does not reverse it is of little if any concern.

It has been my experience using a love joy coupling, there was no backlash as the spider fits pretty snug to the coupling halves. but it should not be a concern in this application as we run one direction only.

Bill,
I have located two LoveJoy couplings. They are L075 series which I like for size, one side is 5/8" I.D. to fit the motor and the other side is 3/4" I.D for the spindle. and a Buna spider. There is also a urethane spider but I like the Buna rubber better. We can get a bigger bore for the spindle side if needed but we can make the end for mounting any size we want. These are steel instead of sintered iron. They are rated for 4 1/2 horsepower load at 3450 RPM. They are $30 apiece which I also thought was reasonable. What do you think about them.

Are there any other suggestions out there about the couplings?

l075dimensions.jpg

l075dimensions.jpg

l075dimensions.jpg

Back