A Project Quest

Just remember, waterjet, like plasma and oxy-fuel cutting all have a tendency to leave a cut that is not truly perpendicular to the surface. On a long straight cut, with both ends in the air (off the end of the material) it's not generally a factor, but cutting inside corners, you will see the compensation the control makes for this. It's not too different from an end mill. When a corner is approached, the feed decels and allows the cut at the "bottom" of the material to "catch up" with the top. The bottom always lags behind. End mills bend, these other methods.....well....I won't get into all the technical reasons, but it does. Anyway, the best you can get is a little bit of a conical effect on inside corners. Sometimes it's not much on thinner material, but the thicker it is, the more the effect can be seen.

I'm guessing that either you know that and are leaving stock for machining, or designing around the WJ cuts to avoid needing a high precision surface on the edges. There will automatically be a radius in the corners, so unless the jet diameter isn't large enough, let it rip!

Plus .040 to all edges Tony. The long inside edges with the little 1 inch X .5 inch notch for table infeed over-run, are where the ways attach. The sides and ways will be assembled then pinned together to be milled square.

"Bill"

Roger that, Bill. Just thinking ahead. And making sure you were.:)

12 inches wide at the ways, 19 inches deep and 24 inches high. The wood mock up of the frame is done. Man it's nice to be back in the shop, even if it's not more than 2 hours a day. It's good to go Mark. I will get with Bill and get the prints for the frame done ASAP.

"Bill"

102_1215.JPG

12 inches wide at the ways, 19 inches deep and 24 inches high. The wood mock up of the frame is done. Man it's nice to be back in the shop, even if it's not more than 2 hours a day. It's good to go Mark. I will get with Bill and get the prints for the frame done ASAP.

"Bill"

View attachment 129270

That looks great bill. It will be nice to get started on this project.

Bill,
I found part of a manual For the Boyer Schultz six twelve deluxe surface grinder my friend has. It shows most of the construction. I know we have settled most of the issues but I will email you this manual just for giggles and grins to see if it has any info you can use.

I don't want to open this can of worms again cause we beat it up pretty good, but I looked at his table. the rack mounts to the side or bottom edge of the table, teeth pointing down. the pinion is about an inch to inch and a half diameter. the shaft for the pinion goes through about a six to eight inch long housing with a bearing in each end. There is no way the pinion can affect the rack for any lift or anything as it cannot move except to turn. the hand wheel is about 8 inches across which gives good travel at half a turn. the hand wheel also pulls out to disengage the pinion if needed. ( there was a hydraulic table drive accessory offered)

I looked at the elevation screw. It is at least 5/8" diameter. It is located close to center, next to the spindle. I think this was to somewhat equalize the weight distribution from side to side. It is driven with a set of miter gears that are setting on needle thrust bearings and have and adjustable load to remove any back lash. the screw can be raised or lowered slightly with this adjustment to preload the gears as needed. The six inch diameter hand wheel is marked in .0005" increments. The screw is also only captured at the top I believe. This is adjustable also to set the preload and eliminate any back lash.

The wheel mounting is a tapered shaft with an arbor that fits on it and held with an nut in the center. the complete arbor gets pulled off and is made for wheels with an 1 1/4 hole. there is a balance system on the rear of this arbor. You put a wheel on and balance the whole assembly , then put it back on the shaft.

I looked at the table mounting also. they used a V way on the front and just a flat way on the other side. The table just sets on the grinder base. I believe this is done so there is only one registering way . They didn't have to worry about lining up two ways perfectly parallel.

Watch your email for these drawings.

Bill,
Looks good so far.

Mark,
That rack and pinion is what I was thinking about. The pinion would have either move in and out with the table or the handle and all with the table. I was thinking a pinion with a key on a shaft that had a key way along it so the pinion could slide using a fork mounted to the table.

The table itself only moves on one axis, the y axis. The Mag chuck moves independently from the table on the X Axis. The rack is mounted to the front of the Mag chuck. The pinion to the table. Thus the Mag chuck is independent of the table.

"Bill"

Last edited by a moderator:
Back