A Vertical Slide For A 9x20 Lathe

Just a thought. Instead of shimming it could you re-cut the face to get it perfect? Also, could it be that your cross slide is off my 0.003?
Robert

I used the first example and went back to mm.
Re done the calcs and they come out to almost the seat of the pants one I did.
My guess went along the lines of if I tilt the plate by half the gap it should move the top out almost the same amount and bring it into alignment.
I guessed a .15mm would work whereas it came out to .141.
An achievable shim size.
Many thanks.
Just a thought. Instead of shimming it could you re-cut the face to get it perfect? Also, could it be that your cross slide is off my 0.003?
Robert
I will check the cross slide as that is a distinct possibility on this machine.
I really dont want to re cut the face at this time but definitely a future task.

The cross slide is spot on so no probs there.
Whoo hoo, the .14mm shim (.08+.06) worked perfectly, absolutely spot on.
First task was to drill my boring bar so I could add a cutter in the middle.
I've done the 6mm this is the 3.3mm for the 4mm grub screw to hold the cutter.
drilling-the-boring-bar.jpg

The second session was a test cut to profile a 10 mm thick aluminium section at a radius of 45mm.
Very smooth cut that fit onto a 90mm dia section of the telescope.
Thats a lot of tool overhang.
Now I can cut the brackets to fit the scope.
first-cut.jpg
The saga will continue here:-
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/80mm-long-focal-length-refractor.26212/page-4#post-409720

Amazing work. As you may remember I sold my Asian 9x20 for a larger lathe so it is very impressive to me to see all you can do with it!
Robert

The cross slide is spot on so no probs there.
Whoo hoo, the .14mm shim (.08+.06) worked perfectly, absolutely spot on.
First task was to drill my boring bar so I could add a cutter in the middle.
I've done the 6mm this is the 3.3mm for the 4mm grub screw to hold the cutter.
View attachment 139773

The second session was a test cut to profile a 10 mm thick aluminium section at a radius of 45mm.
Very smooth cut that fit onto a 90mm dia section of the telescope.
Thats a lot of tool overhang.
Now I can cut the brackets to fit the scope.
View attachment 139774
The saga will continue here:-
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/80mm-long-focal-length-refractor.26212/page-4#post-409720

I'd like to see that cutter in action.

the finish is amazing given the length of that tool bit and the distance from the chuck, did you get any springing in that setup?
Not that I noticed or lets be honest - that I looked for.
I did this first on some parts for the central pier of the telescope, on brass and stainless. These didnt appear to cause any problems then.

I'm going to have to work hard to catch up to you, you continue to set a high standard.
Thanks but it wont be that difficult, look at how long it takes me.

Not that I noticed or lets be honest - that I looked for.
I did this first on some parts for the central pier of the telescope, on brass and stainless. These didnt appear to cause any problems then.

Thanks but it wont be that difficult, look at how long it takes me.

You still beat me I've done nothing for a week. I'm a bit distracted at the moment, my wife had a stroke last week, so I'm spending most of my time at the hospital.

Back