A Vertical Slide For A 9x20 Lathe

You still beat me I've done nothing for a week. I'm a bit distracted at the moment, my wife had a stroke last week, so I'm spending most of my time at the hospital.
Best wishes to you both, and I hope she recovers fully! My wife had a stroke in '12, and I know it can be a difficult time.

I'd like to see that cutter in action.
Ask and it shall be done
I'm a bit disappointed in that in the original clip you can see the lip move across as the cut progresses but cant on youtube.
This is just a chunk of hotrolled mild steel just to show before I removed the vertical slide.

Ask and it shall be done
I'm a bit disappointed in that in the original clip you can see the lip move across as the cut progresses but cant on youtube.
This is just a chunk of hotrolled mild steel just to show before I removed the vertical slide.

Tried to play your video, but it's youtube and I don't have an account. never mind it's not important.

I think you need to change the permissions on that video to Public.
R

Tried to play your video, but it's youtube and I don't have an account. never mind it's not important.

Thanks Savarin, you can just see the cut progressing if you go to full screen, very neat. What i like is that because you were never taught that you should not have so much tool overhang you just make it work. Whereas those of us with formal training would never even try it. Beginning to learn that our teachers didn't always get right. They were probably taught from someone even older who had learned on older machines that were probably less rigid that it won't work. I like your enthusiasm to get it done, often creates viable shortcuts, that we'd never think of. Keep it up.

Thanks Bob, as a typical example of what you are saying in my trade.
The classic Bechamel sauce (white sauce) is written in every recipe book as 100g flour, 100g butter to every 1l milk.
Yes it works but produces a sauce like concrete.
add more butter and cut down the flour to 80g and you get a smoother usable sauce.
But no apprentices were ever taught that.

Thanks Bob, as a typical example of what you are saying in my trade.
The classic Bechamel sauce (white sauce) is written in every recipe book as 100g flour, 100g butter to every 1l milk.
Yes it works but produces a sauce like concrete.
add more butter and cut down the flour to 80g and you get a smoother usable sauce.
But no apprentices were ever taught that.

Exactly, I've long believed that a recipe is only a starting point, A good cook / chef should then experiment to perfect their own style. In the same way that you are not formally trained in machining, I'm not trained in cooking, but I do enjoy it.

As a child I learned the basics from my mother, and have been experimenting ever since.

Back