Ac contacter testing

tacoma

Registered
Registered
Just brought home a hf 12 x 36 33247 with wiring issues . was led to believe one of the three contractors are bad . they have cjx1-22 on all three . I would appreciate a method to test these . the seller said it was demonstrated to run by jumping one of the relays in forward and reverse a year ago , he didn't fix and just sold it.

I’m sure @markba633csi will be along soon to help you troubleshoot this.

But, I have a similar lathe that had trouble with its control box and I switched to a 3phase motor controlled by a VFD.

This is my second lathe I’ve done this to and I don’t think I’d ever have another one without the variable speed control a VFD provides.

Cheers,

John

thanks for your reply . At this point i don't expect alot of use ie bead roller dies, dimple dies . I just want to make it run. got it for a really good price with the basic accessories.

Attachments

• 1031231455_HDR.jpg
    1031231455_HDR.jpg
    435 KB · Views: 22
Can you check the coils resistance to see which one is different?

Is there a circuit diagram available for the lathe? That would be the first place I would start.

I will probe to see if there is a difference . I suspect it's the left one as forward and reverse were ran, or its could be the thermal switch if I'm looking at the diagram correctly. Still need the proper receptacle to plug in.

For reference, you can replace an internally mounted thermal switch with an externally mounted one. Works the same.

Howdy- I just worked with another member on this- we found 2 of the three contactors were disintegrating inside. Have you
powered it up yet? Need to know what it does or doesn't do.
Replacement contactors are available from Amazon for under 20$ However, it's possible that the apron lever switch is
failing instead. In fact I don't see the control rod for the apron lever switch- has it been removed?
Can you shoot a picture of the contactor box?
This machine should be connected to 220 volts only
The schematic for this one is slightly different than the very similar Enco machine
33274schem.png

Last edited:
Are these parts missing? Control rod and Forward/Reverse switch- is the switch sitting in the chip pan? It may be broken. See if there is a wire
bundle connected to it- might be able to hot-wire it for now and fix the switch later
33274pic1.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks , yes switch is there and now installed the contact s looked prefect and switched on and off when ohmed. Owner said they were manually working the switch and then jumping one of the contacts when he bought it 1 year ago. I have ordered one contractor off ebay nov 10th shipping.
I have not powered up yet expect to Sunday. I will post on that thanks again for the interest
..mike

Attachments

• 1102231816.jpg
    1102231816.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 10
Back