Ac contacter testing

The power start does not light up so that might be an issue Idk but bears looking at

Both fuses good. Lines seem to go to the contractor. I should have new parts soon they said one day shipping but a no show so far.

OK must be an error associated with KM1 or the apron switch- When the power button is pushed KM1 should pull and the button light should come on IF the apron lever is in the middle position. Did you reinstall the apron switch and control rod? My guess is the apron switch is faulty
You have a multimeter correct? Doesn't have to be fancy
Gotta go- will return in am

Last edited:
New set on order I m waiting for them in hand before I remove the old parts.
I've checked the switch for continuity all seemed good and installed it.

Attachments

• 1102231816a.jpg
    1102231816a.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 1102231816.jpg
    1102231816.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 4
Try this: With power on, carefully push the test button on KM1. You should hear it pull in and latch and the button power light should come on
That would prove the apron switch is bad
At that point try operating the apron lever (if you have it reinstalled)- or try the inching/jog button; see what happens
The motor may start so be careful

Last edited:
Thanks. Will do . I just watched some videos on contractor tests I did not know what the button on
top was for.

Pushing button and then power start and Works!..slector fwd/reverse works inch works. But only as long as test button is depressed. I'm looking for control voltage now right?

OK KM1 is not latching- so either coil is bad or no power getting to coil (bad connection, open overload relay)
Got a meter? Couple tests we should do. First, set the overload relay dial so it points straight up to 11. Power test the machine again.
If that didn't totally fix it:

Disconnect the lathe from power (pull plug)
Check continuity of KM1 coil and overload relay contacts with ohmmeter
Let me know if you are not sure about the testing- KM1 coil terminals are way in back- you may have to trace the wires forward to reach a point
you can access to take a measurement

Last edited:
Back