Accuremote or igaging

OK, I understand a lot more than I did. I could build a board but why? I want to use the machine and I have plenty of other things to do. We do have WiFi so that's covered.

I have a plan now. I'll order a set of Easy-Views, a Blu-DRO, and a tablet. When I have them in hand I'll do something with them. I may hook up the scales as they come first to make sure that all works and then go for the rest. If I'm not getting a bunch of interference with the cables it comes with I'll not change them. Our electrical system has some noise built in from the inverter. The big 2hp 120v motor on the mill is sure to have some effect. I can work around that.

I'll start the search for a tablet using recommendations here. Until then I'll keep reading and watching. Thank you again for all your time. Tom

I'd suggest before you order, contact Blu-DRO and make sure the board is designed to work with the scales you want and see if it requires a specific version of Android. A new tablet shouldn't be an issue as they would have the latest version on them, but if you find an older tablet either new or used for a much cheaper price, you need to know what version of Android is on it so you know it will work.

More good ideas. I will contact the Blu-DRO guy. I will go to a store and actually hold some Tablets mainly so I can see the size. Is 7" too small, is 10" too big?

Size is a personal preference. Many people just use their smartphone for the display. For me, I got a larger screen tablet, a Samsung Galaxy Pro with 12" diagonal screen. Easier for my fingers to select things on the touch screens and easier to view at a distance.
For the Touch DRO App, a 7"-10" is adequate. Hands on is a good idea especially if you can turn it on and check it out. Most Android based tablet come with a slot for a micro SD card to expand internal memory. The cards are cheap for the amount of data you can store on them so make sure it has a micro SD slot and I'd recommend getting at least a 1 Gigabyte micro SD card.
You can always get a memory card later, the internal memory space is usually fairly large anyway. A lot of times the price is lower for devices with less memory capacity, but not much. Just consider what else you might use it for other than a DRO display. Pictures and video take up a lot of memory space and you can do both with tablets.

Wow, 12"! I was thinking 10" but I could do a fold out wall mount and be able to get it completely out of the way when not in use. I'm checking different brands. There are a lot out there.

A fold out mount is something I need to find as well.
If you find a good one, let me know.

I will do that. Spent the night searching eBay for a tablet. Still looking. Also trying to find out how to put a tach on both the mill and lathe. Something that will plug into the Blu-DRO. Just a Hall sensor working off of the spindle pulley on the mill? Will Blu-DRO read that and send it? I can't find it on this site.

A tablet all depends on what you need and/or want. For price, here's a 7" Samsung Galaxy 2012 model listed on Amazon for $41.50 for the WiFi model. Cheaper for the 4G LTE, but probably limited unless you want to pay Verizon.
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Gala...549649657&sr=8-4&keywords=android+tablet&th=1

For the Tach, yes a hall sensor will work except you have to embed magnets in the spindle pulley for it to work. Friend of mine from work did this very thing, although he had to modify the code to make his set-up work with Touch DRO. He used either 4 or 6 tiny Neodymium magnets, I don't recall at the moment.
Since you're planning on going with the pre-built Blu-DRO, this would be another question to ask them as far as compatibility is concerned for your intended Tach option.

Yes, Right now I'm leaning toward the Blu-DRO but he doesn't have any right now according to the site. I may go with Touch-DRO just to get started a few connections and a box are no big deal. I'd put the savings toward a tablet. I'm mostly looking at a 10' but 8'-10' would probably do. I think 7' is too small for me. There are two issues along with cost: 1. Can I see it? 2. Is there enough space around the machine? Headed to the shop the fire is burning!

If you decide to go ahead and build your own, there are a few choices you have.
You could get the stuff direct from Arduino store. Arduino Uno $22 and $11.90 for the Proto-shield plus shipping. https://store.arduino.cc/usa/
Sparkfun is another choice. You can get an original Arduino Uno for a bit more, $22.95 and Sparkfun Proto-shield kit for $10.95. Or you can go with their Redboard for $19.95. Not much different the original Arduino except they used a mini-B USB connector instead of the USB-A They also sell the mini-B USB breakout boards for $2.50 each.
Adafruit is another source https://www.adafruit.com/category/17. They are the cheapest of the three for board and shield. I've used their shields, but not the boards. I have used both of the others.

Sparkfun and Adafruit both sell on Amazon although neither is a Prime seller. Mouser Electronics, https://www.mouser.com/, is another source. I haven't ordered from them before, but my friend has.
Also, the parts are all made to the same specs physically so you can mix and match from different sources. The ones I'm working on now, I have the Sparkfun Redboards and using the Adafruit Proto-shields.

Back