Another Hendey Refurbish

Wait! ..... that's NOT 14 inch swing by 6 inch bed........6 foot bed?
So 14" x 72" ???

-brino

Correct... 6 foot bed. It will actually hold about 30 inches between centers.

They used to classify lathes by the full length of the bed casting... even though the headstock covered part of the bed, leaving that part 'unuseable'...

Hendey changed the way they classify bed length sometime in the 1930s I think. Other companies continued for many more years... my South Bend is a 14-1/2x6... it was made in the mid- '50s.

-Bear

At tuckahoe today a 14x6 hendy for 600 two steadies and a taper attachment!

I have been waiting to hear if it sold... if it doesn't sell, I may try to 'acquire' it... lol!

I won't be able to get up there until mid-August at the earliest, though.

So... did it sell today?

-Bear

I have been waiting to hear if it sold... if it doesn't sell, I may try to 'acquire' it... lol!

I won't be able to get up there until mid-August at the earliest, though.

So... did it sell today?

-Bear

No, didn't sell. Great deal though. Here is a link to a description on another forum. This lathe came from the estate of one of my friends from Tuckahoe who passed away recently. Another friend from the shop, Paolo has it listed on the PM forum. If someone is interested in it please let me know.

No, didn't sell. Great deal though. Here is a link to a description on another forum. This lathe came from the estate of one of my friends from Tuckahoe who passed away recently. Another friend from the shop, Paolo has it listed on the PM forum. If someone is interested in it please let me know.

PM sent

-Bear

It's been a while since I posted an update... I have been rearranging my basement... it may be more accurate to say I've scrambled everything up into a jumble.

I've finished stripping out the old car that was in there and sent it on to the great scrapyard in the sky... that opened up some working space.

The challenge that I faced was not just finding room for the lathe, but also clearing out a big enough area to be able to maneuver my 3 ton engine hoist around while assembling the lathe. The 8 foot bed on this lathe is much heavier than the one on my other Hendey, so I'll need to be able to use the hoist.

I had originally planned to locate the lathe along the wall where the back of the old car was... but discovered the lathe is too long to fit there. So... plan B was to move an 8 foot steel workbench and my surface grinder and set the lathe up where they were.

After a few days of shuffling everything, I finally got the legs and chip pan in place this morning...

20210720_100451.jpg

I'll hopefully get started cleaning the lathe bed up later this week and get it ready for paint.

We've been getting a lot of rain this year, and it has been damp in my workshop, so I decided while I was moving stuff around this morning I would go ahead and move my old camelback drill press out of the shop and into the basement where it is much dryer. This is the Buffalo Forge 21" DP that I bought along with the Hendey...

20210720_102832.jpg

I think tomorrow morning I may put the motor back on the DP, wire it up, and see how well it runs...

-Bear

Nice drill press Bear. I've been looking for one of those for years. Mike

Well... since I sort of hi-jacked my own thread talking about the drill press, I'll give an update on it... yesterday I installed the motor (1-½ hp 230v 3 ph)... then realized I am missing a somewhat necessary piece of equipment...

I didn't get a start/stop switch with it...

I have a contactor that I could wire up and use a 120v switch to turn it on and off, or I could order a reversing drum switch... I'm leaning toward the drum switch... thoughts?

Now on to the lathe... this morning I sprayed the bed down with degreaser and pressure washed it. I'm letting it dry, then I'll see how clean it is... I will probably have to spray some areas again and scrub buildup, then pressure wash again to get it clean. I'm hoping to have it painted and back on the legs by this time next week... I'm hoping...

-Bear

Back