Another obligatory New PM-833TV and PM-1340GT Ordered!

For my 935, I got PM's glass scale with graphic display kit. I used most of the brackets that came with the kit, making only a couple custom pieces for the Z-axis and it's solid as a rock and went together smoothly. Chip-guard was not used (could not fit) on the Z, but that scale is turned around away from the chips' flight path.
Z Travel.jpg

Last edited:
Question for those who have installed the Align Power-feeds.

I am having some difficulty getting the X axis gear grub screw to hold tight enough on the key. 3 times already the gear has slid on the lead screw, and introduces slop to the table. It is a tiny grub screw, so I was considering re-drilling for a larger grub screw so I can put a tad more torque on it.

Anyone see an issue with this? Is the whole part hardened?

tempImage3nk2rR.jpg

I used to park my motorcycle in the living room in the winter.. I was single then a well.
I rebuilt my motorcycle motor in my living room when I was single... 3 flights up stairs.. Honda 750F.. Heavy.. Could not do it today, no way.

Updates!

So here are some things I would have done differently. I may retro later, but I would need to buy another Z axis scale that I cut to fit the right side of my column.

I installed the Z axis DRO scale on the right, and due to the Z axis crank handle casting, I had to cut the scale shorter to fit. I should have mounted this on the left handed side of the mill where I mounted the Z limit bracket, and mounted the limit bracket on the left as well, so the read head and the limit switch rode the same assembly. I could have an additional inch or so of travel in Z, specifically in lowering the head. IF this becomes a limitation, I will re-do the Z DRO, buy a new scale, and mount the scale, head, and powered limiters all on the left. There is no reason why the read head and limit switch cant be stacked on the left Side of the head.
tempImage0Sa4lX.jpg

tempImagemym1VV.jpg

My Y axis placement worked fine here.
tempImageqzErlW.jpg

And for now I just put my X axis power feed switch here, and used 1 existing hole.
tempImageQR7oKg.jpg

First parts in steel that I made aside from my lathe T-nut are these pieces I plan to wend to the lintel of my fireplace to suspend a wrought iron grate to. No need for a screen because its gas logs. I still need to set up my bench grinder and hit these with a scotchbrite wheel.
tempImagen5ySJs.jpg

Updates!

So here are some things I would have done differently. I may retro later, but I would need to buy another Z axis scale that I cut to fit the right side of my column.

I installed the Z axis DRO scale on the right, and due to the Z axis crank handle casting, I had to cut the scale shorter to fit. I should have mounted this on the left handed side of the mill where I mounted the Z limit bracket, and mounted the limit bracket on the left as well, so the read head and the limit switch rode the same assembly. I could have an additional inch or so of travel in Z, specifically in lowering the head. IF this becomes a limitation, I will re-do the Z DRO, buy a new scale, and mount the scale, head, and powered limiters all on the left. There is no reason why the read head and limit switch cant be stacked on the left Side of the head.
View attachment 389177

View attachment 389178

My Y axis placement worked fine here.
View attachment 389179

And for now I just put my X axis power feed switch here, and used 1 existing hole.
View attachment 389180

First parts in steel that I made aside from my lathe T-nut are these pieces I plan to wend to the lintel of my fireplace to suspend a wrought iron grate to. No need for a screen because its gas logs. I still need to set up my bench grinder and hit these with a scotchbrite wheel.
View attachment 389181
Hi Christian, just want to share with you how I went about the Z axis DRO and Limit Assy. PM did the DRO install and I wanted everything on the left. I Fabbed up a bracket to hold the limit switch above the Z axis scale. Then fabbed 2 standoffs for the limits switch slide column. it worked perfect for me..

Attachments

• IMG_7957.jpg
    IMG_7957.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_7958.jpg
    IMG_7958.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_7959.jpg
    IMG_7959.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_7960.jpg
    IMG_7960.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 119
Very close to what I was thinking. Looks great!

Hi Christian, just want to share with you how I went about the Z axis DRO and Limit Assy. PM did the DRO install and I wanted everything on the left. I Fabbed up a bracket to hold the limit switch above the Z axis scale. Then fabbed 2 standoffs for the limits switch slide column. it worked perfect for me..

One thing I need to start looking at is feeds and speeds on Mill and Lathe. I have a feeling I am spinning too fast. I will say thins though, with the carbide inserts on face mills and lathe tools, it seems to LIKE faster speeds from a sound perspective and a surface finish perspective. Not so much with slitting saws. Pro tip. When you put the saw in the arbor, put it on backwards from the top so it is on correctly when you flip it and put it in the spindle. Ask me how I know...twice.

Get the FSWizard app for your phone. I use it a lot. Very helpful. For slitting saws, I have found this helpful - the tendency is to run them too fast:

Below is a screen shot from FSWizard of the exact example John used in his video - essentially the same results but in your pocket.

387415B5-8377-464D-890F-FDE1C089427B.jpeg

Back