Another too good to be true item??

.... these days I hear Paypal can still get the money back even after transfered into a bank account unless that bank account is withdrawn & closed. Not sure of the truth in that though.

Oh, absolutely. The fine print on all the ACH payment schemes (direct deposit paycheck, online bill pay, etc) contains a clause that allows the banks to fix errors. That's the big difference between ACH and wire transfer—wire transfers are instant and non-reputiatable, ACH takes place in nightly check processing runs and can be rolled back or corrected.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I just got a shipping notice from this one:

It claims it ships from LA and has an estimated arrival date of Friday the 21st, however it is a chinapost/epacket type shipping number. So I guess we'll see!

don’t think it’s an outright scam on the B & S indexing Head. Could be any number of other possibilities as far as the low price. For 50.00 it’s worth the risk of wasting time IMO. Personally I’m thinking they are poor quality units which will need some tlc to get working smoothly. Or they might be missing the worm gears. There’s no mention of 40:1 ratio.
Heck... with EBay it could be anything... even a store which is front set up to launder money.

I can't see how it's not a scam. I just got my shipping notice. From China, not California as listed. Also says ePacket. EPacket max is 4.4 lbs. The dividing head says weight is 57 lbs. No way they shipped the dividing head in an ePacket. Likely paper, nothing or who knows.. maybe it'll be a rare 50 cent piece! Better odds than a lottery ticket I suppose.

I can't see how it's not a scam. I just got my shipping notice. From China, not California as listed. Also says ePacket. EPacket max is 4.4 lbs. The dividing head says weight is 57 lbs. No way they shipped the dividing head in an ePacket. Likely paper, nothing or who knows.. maybe it'll be a rare 50 cent piece! Better odds than a lottery ticket I suppose.
I wonder if it is the wrong address scam. I've got a other one like that going (with a Chinese Fluke) I think. They ship to a different address in your zip code so that tracking shows it delivered. That way eBay will side with them on the refund.

My other one they did a closed business it looks like, so it is in delivery limbo. eBay won't refund until the end of the estimated delivery time, so I still have to wait a while .

One red flag that it won't be shipping from California is this tidbit from the "Delivery details" section near the bottom of their listing.
"-Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges. These charges are the buyer's responsibility.
Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding/buying."

Tom

There is always a new scam somewhere. I got caught out 6 months ago, was not on ebay or any other major site, just some guy with a reasonably real looking name,

He was selling cordless power tools, about half price, had all the promotional pictures for mixed bundles they all looked genuine Makita, Milwaukee plus a few others. The add said it was a stock taking clearance. from somewhere in USA and quoted 6 weeks delivery.

I'd been wanting to get a Makita set for some time, so bit the bullet and ordered, paid with credit card, he didn't accept paypal, warning, warning.. Anxiously followed the tracking number, until it said due at my PO, in 24 hrs. then the tracking number suddenly disappeared, and you got it, the goods never turned up. I tried to contact them and the entire website had disappeared.

Then I noticed I had been billed a second time, so contacted my credit card company, had to cancel the card and wait for a new one. The CC company would not refund the original purchase, something about time out, it was over six weeks, but did refund the subsequent one.

I put in a police report, my son's a cop, he followed it up for me, Apparently the scam was being operated from Russia, although he claimed to be in USA, California I think, about every month he would put up a new site selling pretty much the same stuff, under a new name, rake in all the sales for the month, shut down the site, but cleverly keep the tracking number running long enough so that you thought the goods were still on their way. In the end he couldn't be tracked, even his bank acct was closed. so they couldn't claim the money back.

I now only buy with paypal, I have had them get my money back before, pretty good.

So as they say buyer beware. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

I would totally believe the Russia angle, if they can invade ATMs and gas pumps why not Ebay. Easy pickins
M

Yep, epacket tracking number generated but package not in system yet.

There is always a new scam somewhere. I got caught out 6 months ago, was not on ebay or any other major site, just some guy with a reasonably real looking name,

He was selling cordless power tools, about half price, had all the promotional pictures for mixed bundles they all looked genuine Makita, Milwaukee plus a few others. The add said it was a stock taking clearance. from somewhere in USA and quoted 6 weeks delivery.

I'd been wanting to get a Makita set for some time, so bit the bullet and ordered, paid with credit card, he didn't accept paypal, warning, warning.. Anxiously followed the tracking number, until it said due at my PO, in 24 hrs. then the tracking number suddenly disappeared, and you got it, the goods never turned up. I tried to contact them and the entire website had disappeared.

Then I noticed I had been billed a second time, so contacted my credit card company, had to cancel the card and wait for a new one. The CC company would not refund the original purchase, something about time out, it was over six weeks, but did refund the subsequent one.

I put in a police report, my son's a cop, he followed it up for me, Apparently the scam was being operated from Russia, although he claimed to be in USA, California I think, about every month he would put up a new site selling pretty much the same stuff, under a new name, rake in all the sales for the month, shut down the site, but cleverly keep the tracking number running long enough so that you thought the goods were still on their way. In the end he couldn't be tracked, even his bank acct was closed. so they couldn't claim the money back.

I now only buy with paypal, I have had them get my money back before, pretty good.

So as they say buyer beware. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.
Thanks for laying all that out Bob. You are lucky your son is a cop and gave you info that us civies never get. That is usually kept under raps because some kind of operational jargon like "on going investigation "etc. it's getting harder and harder to decipher whether something on eBay is a good deal or a scam. The OP's "deal" has to be a scam but does eBay not do anything because of incompetence or overwhelmed? I saw basically the same unit a couple of months ago for $275 and thought that was too good to be true.

I think we generally know when something is a scam. The title of this thread gives a big clue.

Back