Are these squares worth it?

The Harry Epstein site for the PEC square says: PEC - Made in India
Which square, Bill? I have not seen any imported squares so far from PEC. Not to say it is wrong, they would certainly not be the first to outsource across the pond.

India makes some decent tools, I think. It would not surprise me.

I have a couple of PEC engineers squares and they're marked "made in USA".

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I have a couple of PEC engineers squares and they're marked "made in USA".

All of the PEC and Central Tool Company tools I have are marked USA. Might be others that are not...

Mine are not. The only thing is the logo.

That's sad. I've been trying to buy PEC to encourage a newish us manufacturer.

Which square, Bill? I have not seen any imported squares so far from PEC. Not to say it is wrong, they would certainly not be the first to outsource across the pond.
They have both and they list them both way, USA or Import. Who knows, maybe one of the family members at Epstein's (third cousin, five times removed) decided to cut a corner for a dollar. I know you've promoted PEC and they do make USA at a good price and very good quality, unfortunately they have fallen on the sword of trying to be competitive or match the competitive market. It seems they chose India over China for some of their product. The problem all the manufacturers deal with is QC. The simple fact that a square can be produced to .0006" in the environment is amazing. I believe mikey has already presented a good position on machinist squares and accuracy. They are a first step in the process and shouldn't be last word,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,plus, how many posting here can actually see the difference between .001" and .0001"?

Back