Are these squares worth it?

The link I posted is for a:

6" PEC SOLID MACHINIST SQUARE

Interestingly, I just looked up a Starrett 4" Tool Maker's stainless steel square and it is said to be square within 0.0002" over its blade length. That's pretty darned square! Then I noticed it is part of Starrett's Global Series, which means its an import. Cost is under $100.00. I wonder if that square is as accurate as they spec it out to be; at least Starrett gives the proper specs for the item on their site. Epstein's Pec Indian squares just say "true right angles" or some such nonsense. Caveat Emptor ...

I dropped HJE a email asking about the PEC COO. I did notice that most of the PEC items are listed as closeouts on HJE's site.

I like PEC Tools, the few that I have are all US made. I don't own any of their squares though. Had no idea they had import stuff, I thought all PEC tools were made in the USA.

HJE is like one of those surplus stores that aquires inventory for cheap & passes on the savings. They are not a PEC distributor. Some of their PEC inventory are blems, PEC blems have the PEC name scratched out.

PEC has 2 grades of squares. Grade B and inspection grade A. The grade As don't come in sets & they come in individual wood cases. The "India" PEC above is listed as .0006" by PEC. Maybe someone can email PEC Tools to confirm COO?

EDIT: I just browsed PEC's site. Looking at some of their stuff like indicators, calipers, & wrenches, it looks like some of their stuff is made offshore. They don't actually say in their descriptions but you can tell.

I have a few "precision" tools from iGaging and I have been quite unimpressed with them. They are a set of 12, 24, and 36" precision straightedges that are poorly finished, have difficult to read markings, and are not straight -- all three of them!

I have the 6, 12 and 24.......you are correct, sir. They are poor quality and some are matte finish and some are bright. They now serve as plasma burn bars. Don't waste money on these.

Ebay has listings for excellent Starrett and B&S precision squares at good prices all the time.
I just picked up a 3" B&S vintage precision beveled square in it's original wood case for $20. Perfect condition.
I think the vintage Starrett and B&S squares are better. IMHO. My Starrett 6" combo and double squares see the most use.

Back