Are these squares worth it?

Well, I have the AA calibration surface plate, the granite square, a cylinder square, a surface grinder set up as close as I can get it so far, and tenths indicators, among other things. If my squares are not correct, I can fix them, as needed. Of course my shop is not temperature controlled and not everything is calibrated currently to a traceable standard, but I can work pretty close if I want or need to. When I get in over my head and start chasing things I cannot quantify with assurance, then it becomes obvious that I just have to call it good enough. Still, that is pretty damn close, and tested multiple ways to make me more confident. That method makes me feel much better than taking the manufacturer's accuracy claims as gospel. A lot of those claims are wishful thinking or intentionally misleading... And, of course, a lot of my work is to very wide tolerances, so it mostly works out. But I am paying attention, and not just a true believer.

Sadly no , main reason is most suppliers buy in large lots, their supplier can change. ... If you want good and don't care about price buy Browne and Sharp or Starrett or Mitutoyo.

Alas, that's not a guarantee. I've got two Starrett squares, and one of them
isn't. No sign of damage, just... not the same angle as the other.

The old, battered combination-square is the good 'un. In a way, that's
comforting.

Well, I guess I'll pull the trigger and get'em. But if my Mars spaceship crashes and burns because it was .001" out of square, I'm blaming you guys! :big grin:

$63.95 at LMS for the PEC 4 piece set:
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2742&category=
2742.480.jpg

Roy

Just my humble opinion, I have a Starrett Square, blade is pinned in the handle. I bought it in the early 1980s from the estate of a retired tool maker. I have never tested it against another square, I use it daily and am satisfied that it's square enough for the work I do. It was sold to be square when new and doesn't have any dinged corners indicating having been dropped hard. I trust it to be square enough.

Back