Arter Carbide Grinder Overhaul

682bear

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've just acquired an old Arter carbide grinder... this is the grinder that Terry (@tjb ) had advertised here 'free to good home'.

20220520_110434.jpg

I am planning to overhaul this grinder, or make an effort to, anyway...

It seems to be in fair condition, no major damage, there are a couple of parts that I have determined to be missing.

The spindle motor is mounted to the lower back of the stand. It is connected to a double intermediate pulley with a belt... the intermediate pulley is then connected via a belt to the spindle. The spindle head is mounted on a spring loaded arm, so it will swing a couple of inches vertically. I haven't figured out why it was designed this way yet, but there has to be a reason...

The machine tag is stamped '440v'... so I'm assuming the spindle motor is configured for 440... there is also a small coolant tank with a 110v pump.

The tank/ pump...

20220521_082423.jpg

There is a transformer wired to a 110v outlet, presumably to plug the pump into...

20220521_082410.jpg

Since I don't have 440v service, I will have to do some 'reconfiguring'...

I've determined how the tables and table tilt assembly mount in place... each table is supported by two flat plates between the table and table frame... held together by two strong coil springs.

20220521_082322.jpg

It's an interesting design... but one of the support plates is missing. I'll have to make one... it should be pretty easy.

There are two handles on the front of the grinder...

20220521_083336.jpg

...the lower one is a Furnas reversing switch. The upper handle... I have no idea... it just swivels, and isn't connected to anything inside...

I haven't been able to find any information at all about this machine... Arter is still in business, and their website mentions this grinder...

Screenshot_20220520-120344_Chrome.jpg

I may call them next week and just see if they have anything at all that they could send me... even pictures would be helpful.

-Bear

Sounds like progress, Bear. I'll scavenge around the shop and see if perhaps there are unidentifiable parts that may belong to the grinder. Not likely, but I'll look. Is the 'support plate' like the one shown in your fourth picture? If not, shoot me a picture.

Regards

Yes, the plate is just a flat plate, about 5x7x¼", it would be very easy to make one...

Thanks! -Bear

Yes, the plate is just a flat plate, about 5x7x¼", it would be very easy to make one...

Thanks! -Bear
I think I have it. Give me a minute and I'll shoot you a picture.

This look like it? Tapered on the ends with slight recess in the middle.

IMG_2168.jpgIMG_2167.jpg

I'm taking my wife to Mableton next week so that she and her sister can fly out of Atlanta. Any possibility of matching up with you? (I don't mind a drive to Temple, but I'm not sure what my timing will be.)

Bear, this could work out really well. My wife and her sister need to be at the airport at 6:30 AM next Thursday, May 26th. That could fit nicely with your work schedule. Worst case scenario, I could bring it to you Wednesday the 25th after dropping her off at her sister's in Mableton. I could probably time it to accommodate when you go into work.

Let me know what works for you.

Regards,
Terry

That's the plate, Terry...

Either way is fine with me... my schedule is flexible enough that I could make either one work, so you let me know what you prefer.

-Bear

Okay, we can make this work.

Let me zero in on timing, and we'll figure out what works. We'll probably need to talk, so could you send me reasonable times to call? I know your work schedule is different from most, so I don't want to either wake you or interfere with work. Probably best to do all this in the Private Message.

Ball's in your court.

Regards

I tinkered with the grinder for a few minutes this morning...

One thing that had me concerned was that the spindle was very difficult to turn. I removed the upper v-belt guard and discovered that the upper belt had hardened and wasn't flexible at all... I had to cut it to get it off. Once the belt was gone, I turned the spindle... it feels like it is in excellent condition, tight, but not too tight, and very smooth.

20220523_104013.jpg

I also discovered that the motor is a dual voltage 220/440 motor and is already configured for 220v... the wiring is in rough condition, though, and the motor pulley has a wobble. I don't know if the shaft is bent, or if the pulley is warped. The motor will also need new bearings.

I've figured out enough about the grinder to think it is going to be a fairly simple project.

-Bear

I haven't done much with the grinder in a few days... other things have kept me busy. Today I dug out some old display feet that came off a gun safe that I bought a few years ago and mounted them on the grinder...

20220530_134213.jpg

Now I can get the pallet jack under it and move it easily.

I'm not planning to start disassembling the grinder until I get back from our summer vacation... so I'll continue this thread in a few weeks... stay tuned!

-Bear

Back