Atlas 7B Disassembly and Teardown! Pic Heavy!

I've not seen square/flat stock anywhere in Oilite. So McMaster-Carr has it, huh?

They have a generic "weldable 954 bearing bronze", which I think is the same idea. Oilite(the brand) doesn't seem to list rectangular/square bar stock as a thing, just round stock.

Hopefully someone more knowledgable can give a better opinion here though.

EDIT: just seen the PDF: the block is oilite! I was looking at the washer, but that's brass. So your block is a replacement, presumably for a worn or broken block. Oilite plate is available, but it's going to cost. I reckon a bearing bronze block would probably do the job, though you might have to modify the oiling arrangements.

Last edited:
Got some more drawings from Clausing! I just sent another request and they answered in like 20 minutes!

These two drawings are some of the crappy ZAMAK parts. I was curious if I could make these housings from scratch in fabricated steel as opposed to casting or machining.

S7-25D.jpg

S7-22D.jpg

I wanted S7-22, S7-23, S7-24, and S7-25, but it turns out they don't have drawings for 23 and 24.

The shapes to those components are pretty simple, they were cast for cost effectiveness I think.

I pulled my feed selector apart to see how it works, it seems like it would be pretty trivial to remake! Same with the other two castings.

Congratulations on your find. Looking forward to following your progress. I just finished a similar project on a pristine South Bend. Not nearly as picture-heavy as yours, but here's a link.

Regards,
Terry

I'm almost done washing parts. I've found another small issue.

The plate in the picture is S7-14A in the diagram below.

Untitled.jpg

I'm guessing that the pin is supposed to be a tight press fit into the plate, however mine has been welded and ground flat. I didn't take a pic before I punched the pin out but you could see crack lines running around the circumference of the pin on the back side. Also the pin had a tiny bit of wiggle and I could see the cracks opening and closing ever so slightly as I wiggled the pin.

So I punched the pin out.

EM520187.JPG

EM520188.JPG

You can see the broken weld around the backside of the pin.

EM520189.JPG

And the broken weld around the hole. Some of the weld is hanging on tight on the left side there. I'll try to countersink it out as much as I can.

EM520190.JPG

I'm reluctant to weld on an already machined part but someone else already has apparently, so it shouldn't be too catastrophic. I'll bevel and chamfer the parts and lay a hot TIG weld in there. Might have to choose filler carefully since the pin is likely, and the plate is maybe, hard tool steel.

There is also a grinded portion on the other side of the plate. Not sure why this was done, but I don't think it will affect anything else.

EM520191.JPG

EM520192.JPG

This is the first very major issue I've found. Other than this there are a few small cracks in the zamak parts and some chowdery lookin stake marks on some of the bolts. I'll post more pics as I clean the parts up.

All in all not too bad for a 60-70 year old pseudo-industrial machine.

Just found this pic on ebay. Same used part I pictured in the previous post.

1592269495340.png

Maybe the weld on the pin is factory. Or maybe this one has been repaired in the same way mine has. What are the odds? Looks like this piece doesn't have the grinded portion mine has though.

I also found this pic on ebay:

1592269640558.png

This block doesn't really look like Oilite, does it? It doesn't have brass on it like mine does.

My crank pin was broken too and was repaired before in the weld area, guess what, it was broken again, so I remade the whole assy. On the new one I press fitted the pin then TIG welded, hopefully it won't break like the original.
44A26BBF-4FF6-4200-B216-CD0D7A6DD794.jpeg
808E2850-2300-4CD2-B90B-B117D36DB304.jpeg
5D9E4B8C-0970-48F0-971A-A69D017697A2.jpeg

Back