Atlas 7B Disassembly and Teardown! Pic Heavy!

Thanks again! It’s pretty surprising what some folks are asking for these small shapers. If you shop around eBay you can sometimes find a very larger machine for the price of an Atlas. The only problem is most of us don’t have the room, power, or capability to move such a beast.

This outstanding.
Also, I had no idea there were this many parts in a shaper!
I would definitely Loctite those flat head screws. They were staked for a reason.
Your weldment is very nice and a good idea. You could also consider re-casting the cover in Zamac? Could you use the original as a pattern or is it deformed some way other than cracking?
Robert

The casting does appear to be deformed slightly. I considered outsourcing it to be CNC’d from aluminum but I never followed through with that idea. I assumed it would be very expensive. So far I’m only in it for $30. Oh, and I did restake the screws, just to be safe.

Thank you Weldo I cant thank you enough I just bought a atlas 7 shaper and am going to dismantle it for inspection and painting this is a God send thank you, Rick aka Master of none .

How did you make out with the welded up gear housing? Got any final pics? I was looking back at the casting and it appears that it was die cast, not sand cast. That would make it hard to duplicate by casting since I doubt the draft on the pattern is sufficient for sand casting.
Robert

To be honest, the weather got really got here for the past few weeks and I've been whooped after work. I haven't made any more progress on any part of my shaper project. The gear housing is just tacked right now but it looks promising. I found all the needed steel stock to turn the bushings so I'm just waiting for cooler weather and more motivation.

Small update!

I finished welding the gear housing part and began machining the bushing part.

EM520623.JPG

EM520622.JPG

The welded housing fits on the shoulder of the bushing to locate it and keep it centered during welding.

EM520626.JPG

EM520627.JPG

I just have to determine where to part off the bushing.

EDIT: I read through and found that you already received the below info.
I currently have my Atlas shaper apart as we speak and I measured the S7-55 spacer for you. It is as follows:
.092" thick x .750" ID x 2.25" OD
I would make the .750" ID a close sliding fit.
The .092" thickness is probably within a thou of original as there appears to be little to no wear. I really don't see any rotational wear or scoring.
I am almost positive this is made from a good quality bronze.

I also measured my S7-19 block. There are a few scratches along the sides where chips made their way inside but it appears to be in spec and fits the S7-16A ram lever pretty well. The dimensions are as follows: .745" thick x 1.495" wide x 2" tall. I wasn't able to measure the bore accurately at this time but I can tell you that the OD shaft diameter on the S7-14A block and pin measures .748" and the S7-19 block fits within a thou.

If you need any other measurements let me know. My machine should be back together in another week or 2. I am almost finished cleaning all of the dried grease off of the 4 main bearings. I have been using WD-40 and kerosene to clean almost the entire machine. I know many will frown against using Kerosene because it smells, leaves a residue, is flammable and some say there are better chemicals to clean with. I have been using it all my life and am happy with the way it works. The only thing I have been having trouble with is getting the dried grease from behind the bearing cages. I just got some Acetone and MEK and am gonna try that along with my ultrasonic cleaner.

Haha I actually already found one extra! I started the parts washing phase today. All the fasteners that have lock washers have the internal serrated type. There was one instance where I had four screws, each is supposed to have a lock washer. Two of the screws had their lock washers, one screw had two serrated lock washers on it and another one had a split type lock washer. So I took the split one off and transferred one of the doubled up serrated ones.

The only thing bugging me is the lack of the spacer indicated on the parts diagram back in post #13. I'm not sure if I should attempt to make one and if so how thick should it be? I'm planning on getting it back together and seeing what the clearances are like on that part. Also I'm starting to wonder if the sliding block was remade at some point. When I cleaned it up in the parts washer I found that the sides of the block that ride in the slot in the crank gear had been brazed up and ground flat. I don't know if this is factory but it might indicate repair or replacement of the block at some point.

Last edited:
I noticed that the drawings from Clausing for the S7-19 block state that the material is oilite. Mine is not Oilite, for sure. It's ground tool steel and between 45 and 50 HRC. I am guessing they made a change somewhere in the time span that they manufactured this machine. Mine is serial# 10442. Not sure when it was built or who if anyone would have that information. If you need to ever make a replacement I would stay away from brass. I work with brass all day long and its just not hard enough to resist wear in this condition.
I checked my S7-14A block and pin and the pin is also welded and ground on mine as well.

Back