Atlas Horizontal mill

Great idea less trouble to make too. I'm going to make one for mine as a SAFTEY stop. I haven't even looked at mine since it came here. I do know one handle on the table is broken , think ill get round ones 5" should be ok . With my meat hooks even that's small. God I can't wait to get out there. My backs out so bad I'm going to a neurosurgeon on Jan 4th hope they can fix me or kill me. So tired of living but not being able to do anything without pain.

Silverbullet, First I am sorry to learn of your troubles. I know that path having crawled along it a few years ago. It took surgery to get me walking again! I'll keep a good thought and say a prayer that things get better for you real quick.

Next, I am assuming that you're speaking about the round kick-out device I copied from Steve's mill. Am I correct?

Silverbullet, First I am sorry to learn of your troubles. I know that path having crawled along it a few years ago. It took surgery to get me walking again! I'll keep a good thought and say a prayer that things get better for you real quick.

Next, I am assuming that you're speaking about the round kick-out device I copied from Steve's mill. Am I correct?
Yes that's the part , I'm pretty sure the original is on mine ,but I figure if I make one at the end of travel to make sure it cuts out , just to be safe rather then sorry. My luck some how it wouldn't knock off all the way . I've been disabled since 1979 but up till 2009 was pretty good but pain kept me from moving still walking then with canes. Till I got so bad I didn't then ended up almost dead from pulmonary embolism Which took most of what walking away so I've been living on fentanyl patches and perks still in pain and gradual increase till now it's not leaving even with muscle relaxers so many all I do is sleep. Can't keep going this way or all be dead . I'm a fighter I beat death four times in 09 from different things including a second blood clot. In the hospital the nurses called me the miracle man. After testing my heart they couldn't believe it was normal after only a few hours after the clot buster drug they gave me. All I new was finally I had no pain before the drug I was at Pease finally. Then I came too couldn't move much after that. Sorry about the long details only way I know to explain it all.

No worries. I'm hopeful you can get some relief and get back to playin' with the equipment soon.
For me, it was laying on the couch and went to get up to go to bed. Only to discover that it created to much pain so I stayed there for 3 days. Had to call my chiro for an emergency visit, she got me into a surgeons office and we decided to do the disc operation and give the nerves some room. I went in the operating room at 9 am and was walking by 2 pm! Been good for these last 8 years and I don't take my movements lightly.

So with the holiday I had today off of work and made some time to be in the shop.
I had purchased a 1.250" arbor and some spacers but never even tried to mount it.. so I pulled it from the box only to discover..
it won't fit! :crushed: The end of the arbor won't slide into the bushing! :eek 2:

A couple quick measures determines the new arbor is .625" OD and the old arbor is .619":chagrin:
Oh well, setup the lathe with the arbor on centers and trim to fit, then some polishing and all is good!:applause 2:

Setup the arbor with a cutter just to look at it! :p:cheerful::chunky: it's been a good day after all! :cool 3:

34_40,

I'm sorry to be the one telling you this, but you now have two bad arbors. You should have checked the dimensions on the factory drawings for the 7/8" and 1" arbors that are in Downloads. The correct diameter for the bushing end of the arbor is 0.6250"/0.6245". You should have run a 5/8" reamer through the support bushing.

The 1-1/4" arbor is aftermarket as the factory never made that size. But it appears that it was made correctly.

It may not match the original specs, but as long as you have a close fit between the bearing and the journal portion of the arbor, it should still work. How does it cut? Any chatter?

I don't think it'll make any difference if these are "non-standard" as they'll probably always stay with the machine.
I haven't experienced any chatter or ill effects either so I think it's all good. I still need to spin out a 1" arbor also. it'll have the small, non-standard journal as well.. :cool:

Seems this one is a basketcase anyway, why shouldn't some of the tooling follow along! :HM:

It sounds like you're doing the best you can with what you have to work with. Part of the challenge of buying and rehabbing old machinery is figuring out what modifications and repairs were made by the previous owner.

Not to get sidetracked, but there's currently a one-owner Atlas milling machine for sale on ebay. It's one of the nicest, most-original looking examples I've seen. But it has a price tag to match.

Yes, it's all we can do right? I don't think the .009 will matter in the long run, not to me anyway! LOL And the arbors can always be sleeved to restore the bearing surface to a "more proper" o.d. if needed.

I was watching that ebay auction. That unit and a shaper were both about perfect. I'll admit I'd be tickled to own 'em! But that would be a dream.

Back