Atlas Horizontal mill

The Marvin rotary table looks much more capable than the Atlas table, but I expect the Atlas table wold do most of the things you would want to do on a horizontal mill or shaper. There's not as much call for being able to rotate the table while machining on a horizontal or shaper than there is on a vertical mill, for cutting arcs, say. I've only seen a couple of those come up on Ebay over the years and they tend to go for a pretty penny.

We all know there is only so much we can do with the Atlas H. Mill, and I can't say I've even tried to use mine yet... I'll have to come up with some project and try it out.

34-40,

Well, that is an interesting mix. 2-step pulleys and 3-step chart in a machine that shipped, at least according to the catalogs and the parts manual, with 4-step pulleys and chart. According to the parts manual, the machine changed to 3-step pulleys and chart at serial number 001345. I've no idea what the explanation is.

Thanks Robert.. Nor do I have any explanation(s) and right now, it won't matter.
As the kids say today, it is what it is. maybe it's just a collection of parts? Who know? LOL..

Yeah, there have been two or three MF's reported with 2-step pulleys. But AFAIK, they had either 4-step or 2-step charts.

Now I'm thinking that maybe the original belt for the 4 step pulley setup was maybe narrower.
As it is right now there just is no room to make a pulley speed change, you must remove the countershaft
to have enough room at the top of the pulley to slip the belt past.

Thoughts?

I always wondered why the Countershaft Bracket changed between the A and B models. The base and A models use a 4L spindle belt. The B and C models use a 5L. I have a parts MFC with the bracket (which won't fit my MFA). But I don't have any of the other parts to go with it. The belt guards changed. As did the hanger, and the motor and large countershaft pulleys. I actually need the Base and A model large pulley M1-427 as mine has a large single step cast iron pulley on the outer end of the countershaft.

However, according to the section view drawings of the MF and MFA, there is several inches between the spindle and countershaft cone pulleys. How about posting a photo of what you actually have.

I'll gladly take a pic or two. Won't get there until this weekend tho.

Here's some pics - hope it helps.

mill drive 1 small.jpg

mill drive 2 small.jpg

mill drive 3 small.jpg

mill drive 4 small.jpg

mill drive 5 small.jpg

mill drive 6 small.jpg

Hopefully within a couple days ill be the owner of a very nice looking atlas mill. Found on craigslist for $500.00. Looks good bye the picture , I've seen many selling not sold for $900.00 plus without the power feed on it. If it works as planned tomorrow my buddy will go and pick it up for me. Thank GOD I still have a friend I grew up with. He's been a God send, he just retired and gets a little bored . I will reciprocate by repairing his lawn care machines he uses to help pay his bills. One hand washes the other. When he's not deer hunting he's working around his house. YA know mommy calls the shots for all us real men. If mommy ain't happy we ain't allowed to be happy. Ill take pics. But never tried to put them on here. But ill try. Say a little prayer it all works out . Thanks

Back