Atlas Horizontal mill

Silverbullet, good luck with the new mill.

34_40, OK. Now I understand why the part number for the Countershaft Hanger is a B-rev - deeper throat to clear the larger belt. Whomever changed the pulleys should also have changed the hanger and bracket.

Yep,shoulda, coulda.. oh well. it still runs as is, just not as convenient as it could be / should be. :pickaxe:

Yep. 'twer it mine, I would be about correcting the abject stupidity shown by the PO.

Well.. the budget isn't there for much more in this department. If I could find the parts pieces for a very good price I might end up with them.
And then do I try for the 4 pulley system? Or the 3 pulley system??
I think the serial number is early enough to do 4 pulleys but good luck finding them.

Hopefully within a couple days ill be the owner of a very nice looking atlas mill. Found on craigslist for $500.00. Looks good bye the picture , I've seen many selling not sold for $900.00 plus without the power feed on it. If it works as planned tomorrow my buddy will go and pick it up for me. Thank GOD I still have a friend I grew up with. He's been a God send, he just retired and gets a little bored . I will reciprocate by repairing his lawn care machines he uses to help pay his bills. One hand washes the other. When he's not deer hunting he's working around his house. YA know mommy calls the shots for all us real men. If mommy ain't happy we ain't allowed to be happy. Ill take pics. But never tried to put them on here. But ill try. Say a little prayer it all works out . Thanks
It's official my new to me atlas mill has been entered into the shop. First quick look one broken handle and missing crank handle. Clean and in great shape. Took DERN cold out there ,my crippled old body didn't like it. The guy thru in a chest with drawers and flip up lid with a dozen or so wood turning chisel long handle jobs . One is a carbide tip long handle model. Ill be selling them anyone know what there worth?

Congrats SB! Now we'll expect a new thread And of course lots of pictures!!!

34_40,

The serial number is low enough that the machine originally had 4-step pulleys. However, although the motor and both countershaft pulleys are the same as on the 6" lathe, the 4-step spindle pulley is probably going to be quite difficult to come by. Unless you want to do an actual restoration or feel the need for more speed choices, it may be easier just to find the parts necessary to be able to run it as an 8-speed machine. You already have the 2-step countershaft and spindle pulleys, presumable in good condition. I didn't pay any attention to its condition but I probably have the 8-speed chart. And I have the correct countershaft bracket. That would leave the hanger and the 2-step motor and countershaft pulleys to find unless they already got changed, too. And maybe the countershaft spindle, although the one that you have appears to work.

But I guess that the first step should be to ID exactly what you already have.

I'm thinking it'll stay just as it is.
If the parts fell in my lap, then the direction would change. But it runs well enough as is an don't see me needing it to do more.

Back