Atlas M F Horizonatal Mill Rebuild

Rodney, The refinishing part of this project has been time consuming! I would have preferred to not refinish but the poor old machine had a few to many hack paint jobs over the years.
Right now I'm in the process of gathering a few parts that I need an then I'll get back to the overhaul.
Good luck with your mill!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Greetings All,

It's been a while since I have posted on this topic. I've been gathering a few parts that will be necessary to get the top end fully functioning. Almost there, stay tuned!

Steve

Greetings All,
It's been a while since I have posted on this topic. I've been gathering a few parts that will be necessary to get the top end fully functioning. Almost there, stay tuned! Steve

Whew! All the mill threads have gone quiet... I was starting to get withdrawal symptoms...

:beer bottles:

Whew! All the mill threads have gone quiet... I was starting to get withdrawal symptoms...

:beer bottles:
No kidding,
I thought I would be well on my way to completion of my mill and lathe restoration but the "patio restoration" has trumped the other restorations for now!! Just finally got the bearings for the counter shaft for the lathe... hope I remember how to put the mill and lathe back together when I finally get going on them again? Gonna need some heat in the garage this winter to keep the lathe restoration going for sure, luckily the mill is in the basement so I can work on it when its too cold to work outside.
Rodney

I'm enjoying going back and rereading many of the Atlas mill threads, as I picked up an MF yesterday. It was the first one I've found in the last 3 or 4 years or more within a reasonable distance, and it turned out to be less than 10 miles from home. Tried it out a bit before buying it, then loaded it in the truck and hauled it home. It has the proper vise and handle, 1" arbor, and about 35+ cutters and a few slitting saws, some clamping pieces, a short arbor (for slitting saws?), and some other odds and ends. Need to get it into the shop when my son and some of his friends have time to carry it in for me, then clean up and make a base or stand for it.

Jim

I'm enjoying going back and rereading many of the Atlas mill threads, as I picked up an MF yesterday. It was the first one I've found in the last 3 or 4 years or more within a reasonable distance, and it turned out to be less than 10 miles from home. Tried it out a bit before buying it, then loaded it in the truck and hauled it home. It has the proper vise and handle, 1" arbor, and about 35+ cutters and a few slitting saws, some clamping pieces, a short arbor (for slitting saws?), and some other odds and ends. Need to get it into the shop when my son and some of his friends have time to carry it in for me, then clean up and make a base or stand for it.

Jim
Hi Jim,
Congrats on your purchase! I think it is seldom the case where you get that many accessories with the mill to make it a truly functional unit! Give us some pictures when you get a chance.
Rodney

How long is the short arbor? Does it actually mount horizontal mill cutters? Atlas didn't actually make a short arbor. But they did make a Weldon style end mill holder. If it does mount circular milling cutters, your guess about slitting saws is probably as good as any.

Welcome Aboard WisJim! Sounds like you scored quite the prize there..

Now we'll need a new thread and pictures of course... :congrats: :you suck:

Hey Jim,
Have fun with your new mill, sounds like a beauty!

Steve

Back