Atlas M F Horizonatal Mill Rebuild

OK, so I have gathered up a few necessary parts and have a little time to get back to my project. The old saying about the journey being more important than the destination (or something like that...) comes to mind. Although I really want this project done, the research, locating parts and putting the puzzle back together has been a lot of fun. Here's a couple of pictures of where things are now. Also, Please have a look at the Back Gear question at the end, I could use a little help with this part of the assembly.

My goal here is to get the entire drive system assembled and functioning properly before I start on the rest. Here's the assembly so far-
A35.jpg

Ordered a fairly complete set of oilite bushings from McMaster Carr-
A36.jpg

I contacted Clausing for the motor and countershaft pulleys. They had one but not the other. I decided to try to work with these zinc die cast pulleys and new shaft material, they are the same diameters as the original design. I would like to try and put together assembled pairs to replace the original double pulleys. Stay Tuned-
A37.jpg

Needed a replacement and found this engage/ dis-engage lever. The milled shaft is wrong but I can make a new one. I guess it was the original cast elbow and the Bakelite knob that sucked me in-
A38.jpg

OK, so here's where I could use a little help. I found out the back gears need to be installed before the spindle is installed. The Back Gears install easily enough but I'm not sure I have done this correctly. Please have a look and tell me what you think.

Back Gear lever in the "UP" position, Back Gears are engaged-
BG1.jpg

Back Gear lever in the "DOWN" position, Back Gears are dis-engaged-
BG2.jpg

Here's the assembly with the lever all the way out-
BG3.jpg

So here's where I am a bit confused, The shaft slides freely in and out and this doesn't seem right to me. I can set it in either the engage or dis-engaged position but the entire assembly is free to slide in and out by about a 1/2 inch. I am not sure if this correct, maybe it is. Any feed back on the correct way to assemble the Back Gears will be greatly appreciated, Please chime in!

Thanks for looking!

Steve

Hmmm, I may have answered my own question. It looks like I need to install the two M1-254 collars, missed them on the first try (duhhh!). Also it looks like the M6-255 washer is missing. I have an oilite washer I can replace it with. Wouldn't you know it, those two collars I left out take up the 1/2" that I was questioning. Now for re-assembly and we'll see how it works-

BG4.jpg

I don't know if that's the correct way? Can the lever be turned 180 degrees , or is there a missing detent or spring? If it's free moving the gears can collide and cause damage. Has to be something to keep them in position. Or I hope there is. Gary

I'm enjoying going back and rereading many of the Atlas mill threads, as I picked up an MF yesterday. It was the first one I've found in the last 3 or 4 years or more within a reasonable distance, and it turned out to be less than 10 miles from home. Tried it out a bit before buying it, then loaded it in the truck and hauled it home. It has the proper vise and handle, 1" arbor, and about 35+ cutters and a few slitting saws, some clamping pieces, a short arbor (for slitting saws?), and some other odds and ends. Need to get it into the shop when my son and some of his friends have time to carry it in for me, then clean up and make a base or stand for it.

Jim

That short arbor may have been made on the plans Rudi Kouhapt made in HSMabout twenty years ago... it looked like a very useful accessory.

:frog:

I don't know if that's the correct way? Can the lever be turned 180 degrees , or is there a missing detent or spring? If it's free moving the gears can collide and cause damage. Has to be something to keep them in position. Or I hope there is. Gary
The part in your parts diagram called the lock plunger will go into locating holes the mill housing, you will see 2 holes in the mill body close to the hole in the body that the shaft goes through, on mine the plunger has a knob on it that I have to pull out to allow the plunger to pull out of the hole so I can move the lever to engage or disengage the back gears.
Rodney

Excellent feed back, Thank You!

Got things together and they seem to work. Pictures and details soon.....

She Runs! With the excellent feedback from you folks and a bit of head scratching I got the back gears working properly. Installed the spindle and then countershaft system. Everything seems to work well and run quietly. Here's where we are right now-
A39.jpg

Next project will be the "Change-O-Matic" gear guard / change gear system. Dis-assemble, clean, strip, paint, re-assemble, trouble shoot. Last but not least will be the table and drive system. Getting there slowly but surely...

Steve

That's great news.. Congrats!

I think your electric switch needs to turn 90 degrees to the right or the table will hit the conduits.

Last edited:
She Runs! With the excellent feedback from you folks and a bit of head scratching I got the back gears working properly. Installed the spindle and then countershaft system. Everything seems to work well and run quietly. Here's where we are right now-
View attachment 134008

Next project will be the "Change-O-Matic" gear guard / change gear system. Dis-assemble, clean, strip, paint, re-assemble, trouble shoot. Last but not least will be the table and drive system. Getting there slowly but surely...

Steve
Very nice!! Only problem I see.....I am now going to have to repaint mine, after seeing yours I can't help myself?? :p
Rodney

Back