Atlas mill home at last

As my Dad use to say it did not grow together it can be taken apart usually you can warm the spindle up with a torch in the area it is stuck the hotter the better but be mind full of whats going on and what your doing. Then quench it with water the rapid expansion and contraction will break the bond of the rust. I have used this method for 25+ years and it never has done me wrong. Ray

Last edited:
Thats what I was thinking Uncle Buck,I know there were vertical heads made for these mills but im not sure how that one would attach to the front of my mill. I think a company named marvin use to make vertical heads for the atlas mill as an after market addon,but I dont think they looked like that.

Marvin was the name of the original aftermarket vert head attachment for the Atlas Horizontal mill. In recent years the price of a complete and functional Marvin head was generally higher than the cost of most Atlas milling machines; they were just that high. However, a couple years or so back some small new upstart/machine shop knowing the desireability of the old Marvin attachment began offering spot on new replacements that were/are virtually identical to the origianl Marvin head. They were not cheap, but they were/are new, and vitually the same as the old highly coveted and priced Marvin attachments but at considerably less than the price of the old Marvin Heads. I have no idea if these are still currently being marketed and manufactured, if they are I suppose a simple google search would find them. The Marvin Vertical head was not the only product the Marvin company made though. As I recall they also made a slotter that was an aftermarket accessory for the Atlas 7B metal shaper as I recall.

My gues is the mt taper goes in the spindle the sleave with 2 setscrews goes on the over ram and that is the draw bar end.

I too noticed the taper, but for the life of me I cannot see how what is shown could be used as a vertical attachment for an Atlas milling machine.

If it is a marvin head then its worth a lot more than 100$ thats for sure. From what I have read marvin vertical heads are very rare indeed. Maybe he will post some more pictures of the head so we can get a better look.

That is definetely not a Marvin head, I am sure of that. The Marvin was not driven diectly from the spindle. A pulley was screwed to the end of the spindle andd the Marvin was fitted directly to the overarm. An additional attachment that had 2 pulleys and a pulley on the top of the Marvin head all worked together and were driven by a v belt that rode over the pulleys and was driven by the spindle spindle pulley provided the power that spun the Marvin head. The Marvin head did have a downside in that as I recall it would only accept tooling up to 3/8" in diameter.

One thing in that picture I would very much like to have is that old shell mill. The mount that it is secured to screws right to the end of the spindle. That is an original Atlas accessory and one that I think is found only rarely.

- - - Updated - - -

As my Dad use to say it did not grow together it can be taken apart usually you can warm the spindle up with a torch in the are it is stuck the hotter the better but be mind full of whats going on and what your doing. Then quench it with water the rapid expansion and contraction will break the bond of the rust. I have used this method for 25+ years and it never has done me wrong. Ray

I agree, I too believe that this would get the two separated, though I would not be wild about excess heat robbing my sindle or arbor of hardness/integrety. However, Robert has tried just about everything else and this would be one of the last remaining viable options to getting this apart. :whiteflag:

Last edited:
I did a quick internet search for small machine shops close to where I live. I found one that isn’t to far so I am going to stop by there Monday and see if they would use there arbor press to press it out for me. I know about the possible risk, but like Uncle Buck stated I have tried just about everything. I will try to get some more pictures up of the paint stripping process.

Marvin was the name of the original aftermarket vert head attachment for the Atlas Horizontal mill. In recent years the price of a complete and functional Marvin head was generally higher than the cost of most Atlas milling machines; they were just that high. However, a couple years or so back some small new upstart/machine shop knowing the desireability of the old Marvin attachment began offering spot on new replacements that were/are virtually identical to the origianl Marvin head. They were not cheap, but they were/are new, and vitually the same as the old highly coveted and priced Marvin attachments but at considerably less than the price of the old Marvin Heads. I have no idea if these are still currently being marketed and manufactured, if they are I suppose a simple google search would find them. The Marvin Vertical head was not the only product the Marvin company made though. As I recall they also made a slotter that was an aftermarket accessory for the Atlas 7B metal shaper as I recall.

I too noticed the taper, but for the life of me I cannot see how what is shown could be used as a vertical attachment for an Atlas milling machine.

Marvin made a Chain drive or Belt drive vertical head. Looks like a quick finger remover if your not careful!

http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlasmiller/page2.html

img29.jpgimg35.jpg

img29.jpg

img35.jpg

img29.jpg

img35.jpg

Very interesting, I have never seen an image of that slotter attachment for the mill. I knew they made one but thought it might be for the shaper. The image of the Marvin head removes all doubt as to what those looked like for those unfamiliar. Notice the absence of a step pully on that setup limiting the user to only one speed and the limited size of end mill the vertical head would accept.

Notice the absence of a step pully

But it's driven off the original arbor so it has all the same speed steps as the horizontal arbor has which I believe varies depending on which flavor Atlas you have.

But it's driven off the original arbor so it has all the same speed steps as the horizontal arbor has which I believe varies depending on which flavor Atlas you have.

That totally escaped me, yes of course you are absolutely correct! What was I thinking!

This should make it more clear!

$(KGrHqV,!lMFE)37d5v2BRcUg+Nwj!~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16N,!)cE9s4PsSyVBRcUg-ynvg~~60_57.JPG

Back