Australian barn find 100 year old? lathe.

Andrew Strange

Registered
Registered
Hi all,

First time.

So this was my father in laws fathers lathe that was bought for them 50 years ago and last used in 1985 by my father in law.

It was located in a barn in Scone NSW. Now in parts in my place in Hurlstone Park Sydney.

Dose anyone have any info about this lathe? age? Type?

The cross slide and carriage all moved when I turned the wheels. Nothing was frozen and all the bolted and screws came undone without much pain, apart from the brackets holding on the lead screw.

My aim is the restore it. Then... and this is the bit I need Y'alls wisdom on.

1. Change to a variable speed motor (I don't even know if the current motor still works)
2. CNC as much as I can.

3. Make a sort of sideways mill attachment. Where the cutter would go in the chuck and the part would be mounted on a 1 axis part on the tool post. With the 2nd and 3rd axis's (cross slide and carriage) already being CNCed.

I guess I would like to know

1. Is if likely to be actually useful / usable / a good lathe.
2. Am I crazy?
3. Would I be doing a terrible thing if I do anything but restore it?

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-19 at 18.28.04.jpgScreenshot_20230821-193938_Video Player.jpgWhatsApp Image 2023-08-19 at 18.28.16.jpg

That's an oldie! Lathes typically don't make great milling machines for several reasons, but you can try.
Personally I would want something newer, with a roller bearing spindle, but I'm spoiled

My vote is to restore it back to what it once was , a line shaft lathe . Then find out all you can about line shaft machinery . You could get a milling attachment for it , I would be on the lookout for a line shaft mill . Would it be a useful machine ? Of course it will , but a lot of that will depend on the head stock spindle bushings . Is there any other name tags on it ?
As far as age ? My guess is about 1875 - 1900 .
Keep us posted .
Mark .

Last edited:
Thanks all.

Ok I guess I will restore. And look into a milling attachment.

Space is limited so I need a way to do milling more then lathing

A variable speed motor is a great idea- if you can find an exercise treadmill that's being scrapped with a good motor,
you can save a lot of ducats by adapting it to your lathe

There's a guy on here from Australia, and he doesn't have a mill, but he does amazing work with a lathe.
@savarin , look up his projects, a Binocular (for star gazing)...

Welcome to HM,
I hope you restore it. It will teach you more about the machine than anything else.
You can build a lathe with a lathe, you can't build a mill with a mill (you would still need a lathe for the spindle and quill.. A lathe is a very important tool. A mill less so.

Peruse our forums, you'll learn a lot of stuff, and realize why some decisions are good, and why they may not work. It will help you speed through some of the mistakes newbies make, learning what we have already learned, or answered.

Most of the time someone has been down the road that you are traveling and can help you out with info, drawings, ideas..

1. Change to a variable speed motor (I don't even know if the current motor still works)
Why?
2. CNC as much as I can.
Why?
3. Make a sort of sideways mill attachment. Where the cutter would go in the chuck and the part would be mounted on a 1 axis part on the tool post. With the 2nd and 3rd axis's (cross slide and carriage) already being CNCed.
How come?
I guess I would like to know

1. Is if likely to be actually useful / usable / a good lathe.
Likely, you could have filled the oilers, flipped the power lever, and had a mostly working unit already. Useful? That’s sort of personal. You’ll have to tell us how useful or useable you find it to be once you’ve completed your plan.
2. Am I crazy?
Nope. You’ll fit right in around here. We’re always taking something apart, just to put it back together.
3. Would I be doing a terrible thing if I do anything but restore it?
In the business of machining, what you have there would be considered scrap metal. Technological improvements have made it obsolete. Unless you found it in the barn of some famous person whose historical status would earn it a place in a museum, I don’t think you have anything to worry about.

Make it a centurion cnc lathe if that’s what you want to do. I’m curious why you decided to go that route. You’re definitely not on trial here! Do you have a background in cnc? Or are you wanting to learn cnc programming?

I’ve often considered buying a small cnc unit, but it’d be strictly a business venture. Which is why I’ve only considered it. I don’t want to ruin my hobby with work stress. Do you plan to try to make money with this project in the end?
Ultimately it’s your machine to do with as you please. We’re just here to cheer you on, and help you out when we can. Maybe even steer you in the generally smoothest direction. And me? I’m just here to make jokes mostly, and marvel at human ingenuity. Looking forward to your progress!

@Andrew Strange

First, welcome to the group!
You have joined a great group of like-minded people.

Second, to help identify the manufacturer we need more info. Is there a name cast into the bed somewhere? Or maybe the legs?

I have just spent an hour with a couple cups of coffee going thru the list of Australian made lathes here:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/australian/
Nothing looked identical, but it could certainly be an import.

Also, could you provide some better pictures of the bed and carriage?
I'm having a difficult time even seeing if it has flat or vee ways......

Thanks,
Brian

There's a guy on here from Australia, and he doesn't have a mill, but he does amazing work with a lathe.
@savarin , look up his projects, a Binocular (for star gazing)...

Welcome to HM, I hope you restore it. It will teach you more about the machine than anything else.
You can build a lathe with a lathe, you can't build a mill with a mill (you would still need a lathe for the spindle and quill.. A lathe is a very important tool. A mill less so.

Peruse our forums, you'll learn a lot of stuff, and realize why some decisions are good, and why they may not work. It will help you speed through some of the mistakes newbies make, learning what we have already learned, or answered.

Most of the time someone has been down the road that you are traveling and can help you out with info, drawings, ideas..
Thanks I will have a look at @savarin

100% agree with everything you have said and that's why I am here. I will do lots of looking around.

I need a lathe that's why I decided to take this on. I just have no spare money or space and was hoping to kill 2 different sized birds with one space in my shed.

Back