Ball Peen Hammer

ltlvt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Just curious how many actually use the ball end of their Ball Peen Hammers and what do they use it for. Best I can remember making gaskets is about the only time mine gets used. And I might add when I see someone using a carpenter's claw hammer in a machine shop, I just look the other way. That is considered Blasphemy!

I've got about 30 ball peens in all and have never used the ball end of one of them . Then again , I've never used the other end of them either . :grin: With all the hammers lying around , I could restock MSC and McMaster Carr .

Just curious how many actually use the ball end of their Ball Peen Hammers and what do they use it for. Best I can remember making gaskets is about the only time mine gets used. And I might add when I see someone using a carpenter's claw hammer in a machine shop, I just look the other way. That is considered Blasphemy!
Seeing a claw hammer in a mechanic shop is a Red flag, also......

I use my ball peen hammers quite often, They are the best tool for setting a rivet as you need to work the outside of the rivet to properly form the rivet head. If you set the rivet with a flat face, you will mushroom the head but there is a good chance that you will start cracks around the edge of the head resulting in a weaker rivet.

Seeing a claw hammer in a mechanic shop is a Red flag, also......
I am curious as to why it is an anathema to have a claw hammer in a machine shop. It sounds like hammer snobbery. You don't have to use the claw and the flat face is just as effective at striking a surface as a ball peen, or any other steel faced hammer.

I have dozens of hammers of all types and sizes. Ball peens, cross peens, straight peens engineer's, rounding hammers, along with claw hammers in my hammer collection. When I am punching out a pin, I will grab the closest hammer at hand that is the right size.

Back
Top Bottom