Beauty in The Beast: Webb 5BVK Barn Find/Conversion

Grabbed 60amp fused form local supply house.
All they had.

Took a look at the power draw bar.
Was a bit sticky - and all the hoses are rotted.
Started taking it apart to clean and service - and the next thing I knew - I had the polishing wheel out.

So, for your Friday evening viewing pleasure:
IMG_2677 2.jpg
Ready for install.

Well - perhaps we have our first snafu - of many to come I'm sure.
I am working to install the DRO head and tape.
A closer look at what they sent - I have magnetic tape with a metal backer - and a peal and stick on the back of that metal.
I also have some stainless steel.
The stainless is nearly 2x the width of the magnetic tape - and does not appear to have any means to adhere it.
I have scratched at the surface to check for a clear layer of film that would peal back - but it does not exist.
Suspect one or the other of these parts is incorrect?

Below - magnetic tape on left has metal adhered to its back, and then a peal and stick under that.IMG_2719.jpg

The stainless cover band is not correct. It should have been 10mm wide with a sticky back.

Thanks Jim.
Is there a name for this stuff - that I might search to see if I can find supply stateside?
I can of course write the seller as well.

Ok - Ditron got back to me quickly on the tape.
Have to say - their customer service has been top notch so far.

Turns out they don't do a narrow tape.
They may have the wider tape with adhesive.
Search around internets does not yield 10mm stainless adhesive backed tapes either.
So may need to consider other options.

To make sure I understand - I assume that the steel tape is there for protection, in lieu of the aluminum extrusions?
I certainly like it for it's clean look.
Considering opting for the aluminum extrusion solution - or perhaps a wider magnetic tape and matching steel tape with adhesive.

Having spent some time examining my options on the machine - I think the aluminum extrusion might help with quill and knee axis.
Up for debate if it helps or hinders X and Y axis.

Current thinking.
Go back to Ditron and request:
- Set of aluminum extrusions, 33, 15, 17, 10 inch. These are the actual travel for each of my axis (other than the 10 for quill)
- Perhaps some wider magnetic tape and matching stainless cover with adhesive for axis that are better served without the additional extrusions.

Would leave options open for install.
Any thoughts on this before I pull trigger?

Yes the SS tape is for the protection of the mag tape. Required even with the aluminum extrusions.

Their left hand does not know what their right hand is doing. They have the 10mm wide ''cover band''. There is no separate part number, it is part of the 10mm wide mag strip kit, which consists of, the mag strip attached to the SS base tape, and the cover band which is identical to the SS base tape. I have purchased this from them a few times.

Yes the SS tape is for the protection of the mag tape. Required even with the aluminum extrusions.

Their left hand does not know what their right hand is doing. They have the 10mm wide ''cover band''. There is no separate part number, it is part of the 10mm wide mag strip kit, which consists of, the mag strip attached to the SS base tape, and the cover band which is identical to the SS base tape. I have purchased this from them a few times.
Hmmm.
Wouldn't discount the possibility it's me that has this confused - but I don't think so.

Mag tape has metal already adhered to it.
There is then an adhesive on the back of that metal making a total of three layers to the sandwich: mag>metal>adhesive.
I see others selling it as metal>mag>metal>adhesive all in 1.
But surely Ditron must offer metal to cover the tape they sell??!!

I have looked at their site - amazon - and AliExpress. Don't see them explicitly showing.
Any chance you have a link of some kind?

*EDIT

Ahhh - I think they may not offer it the way you purchased in the past.
Now looking - the steel appears to be a slide in - for their aluminum extruded base.
See pic below - at least this is one set up that they offer...
May or may not preclude the other you are referring to.

From AliExpress Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 10.31.43 AM.png

Ok - edited above but I keep finding new links - should have just unearthed all this first.
I found an additional picture - which shows they sell a magnetic tape all in one - with "two sides" metal covering.
This is what they should have sent me when I asked for no aluminum extrusion bases.
Left hand right hand.

So - I think I will ask them for some of this tape and an extrusion for my knee axis.
Should allow me to execute nicely and in low profile.
DRO set back a little - but perhaps this untangles.

Their reference to 1mm pole must be the 1uM offering.Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 10.39.36 AM.png

For 1um you want the 2mm pitch tape for use with the 1um read heads.

Buying from the above guy is a bit problematic, I think he orders from China and drop ships. I have bought from him before, took a long time. He may have 1 meter kits in stock, but I ordered a single 4 meter roll and it took a long time to get it. You can also order from Renishaw. Ditron makes their own I think.

Are you dealing directly with Jaeger Hou at Ditron? He knows what to send, use my name, I have been dealing with him for a long time.

Back