Beauty in The Beast: Webb 5BVK Barn Find/Conversion

skip that second Logan, no tailstock.

If you can, you want an estate sale type deal, where you can buy the lathe AND the tooling. You can easily spend as much as your purchase price on tooling if the lathe is barebones.

skip that second Logan, no tailstock.

If you can, you want an estate sale type deal, where you can buy the lathe AND the tooling. You can easily spend as much as your purchase price on tooling if the lathe is barebones.
Sorry, didn’t catch that.

You could always buy both:grin big:

Ok you guys - good stuff.
Thanks.
My takeaway was - if the Logan was $1200 - everyone would have given it the nod.
At $2200 - not so much.
I'll continue the hunt.

My takeaway was - if the Logan was $1200 - everyone would have given it the nod.
At $2200 - not so much.
I'll continue the hunt.
Well...
Woke up this morning to an alert for a Logan 920 lathe.
91 year old passed away.
Various tooling.
3 and 4 jaw chuck.
Plugs in and runs.
$1200.

It was like someone read our conversation, and then wrote their add to match.
Owned for 40yrs by same guy in his garage.
Not used for last 10-15 years - and lightly used prior.
Don't know it's history beyond that - am sure it has some miles on it.

All comments/suggestions/insights/I told you so's/ are welcome.
I have a few questions (of course...)
I have the day tomorrow in the garage - so if you see something missing - or half there - let me know.
I will have a chance to rummage around a little to see if I can find it.

Oh, and you can assume I don't know what the items are from the boxes - so feel free to label - explain as you see fit.
Pics below.
Thanks!
-CM

00T0T_8aA61oIQXJnz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00g0g_h3k2PrNrjxNz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg
Can anyone identify what the tool on the right is? Does it belong to the lathe? Was it part of a shop smith?
00K0K_kg4m6dYSZ3oz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpgWhat is the disc in the center used for?
The 4 jaw chuck has independent action for each of the jaws. Not sure if that is desirable or not.
I could not find a brand on the 4 jaw.
The three jaw is a Logan.
00q0q_6RJulq4LpmRz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00606_9JvWgrQWoCwz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg
The drill type chucks are both made by Jacobs.
Can anyone identify the round item with holes? What did that go to?
00I0I_1CzZ3omNoITz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00505_bmFRNqrJH7Tz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00j0j_iabaoG7h3Kjz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00202_g5mLFVhhkSwz_0CI0t2_600x450-2.jpg00X0X_5tPjrvH5DDAz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00m0m_8xPMcILJVW0z_0CI0t2_600x450.jpgIMG_3173 2.JPG01616_jUHKwmzHx47z_0CI0t2_600x450-2.jpgIMG_3166.JPGI could probably buy this vise cheaply. Think it is missing the swivel base - but I suspect I could find it. only 3.5" jaws.

The "tool on the right" is a lever type collet closer. Not part of a Shop Smith. It looks in filthy shape and I don't know if it fits that lathe. look for a collection of collets. Maybe in the green drawers? A new lever type collet closer would cost more than $1200.
I don't know that model lathe but if it runs, for $1200, with all the tooling it's a great starter for you to learn things like 4 jaw independent chucks are fundamental and good.

Don't know what you mean by cheap for the vise. Popular (good) brand/model. Check eBay for resale prices.

look for a collection of collets. Maybe in the green drawers? A new lever type collet closer would cost more than $1200.
Wow on value.

Good thought on finding collets!
I saw the collet holder in the tools - so seems unlikely he would have the holder and the closer without any collets.
I already looked in the drawers - nothing there.
There is a large tool box in the garage - I bet there are some collets to be found.
Nice catch.
I'll look.
The "tool on the right" is a lever type collet closer. Not part of a Shop Smith. It looks in filthy shape and I don't know if it fits that lathe.
No other lathe type machine in there - so probably is for this one.
The son in law said it was on the shelf under the Logan - so he thought it must go with it.

Don't know what you mean by cheap for the vise. Popular (good) brand/model. Check eBay for resale prices.
Ok - will have a look.
No idea what he wants for it - will have to ask.

Thanks for weighing in.
Good stuff as usual.

Regarding the collet closer (CC); in the wooden holder, at the end of the chip tray, the flange looking thing with 16 holes may be part of the collet closer.
If it fits over the CC tube and there is a pin (or more) inside the largest diameter part of the CC (to engage w/ the holes) keep it with the CC.

PS: I don't recognize that particular design CC. I don't think it's Royal or JFK. Maybe a Logan factory option/design. If you buy the package, you should open a new thread in the Logan specific sub-forum to take advantage of the Logan experts that may not follow this thread.

Regarding the collet closer (CC); in the wooden holder, at the end of the chip tray, the flange looking thing with 16 holes may be part of the collet closer.
If it fits over the CC tube and there is a pin (or more) inside the largest diameter part of the CC (to engage w/ the holes) keep it with the CC.

PS: I don't recognize that particular design CC. I don't think it's Royal or JFK. Maybe a Logan factory option/design. If you buy the package, you should open a new thread in the Logan specific sub-forum to take advantage of the Logan experts that may not follow this thread.
Good thoughts and thanks.
Will post now - looks like pick up day will be Saturday - so I have a day to gain any other feedback.

I should have mentioned this earlier. Make a deal on any useful raw stock that you find at pick-up.
Material is, IMHO, is crazy expensive these days. I'd probably pay $1 a pound for anything clean and neat. You might find a ton for $100.

Back