Becoming hobby machinist in the near future.

David B is not wrong on the cost of the accessories on his spreadsheet. My son and I are venturing into metalworking and have no prior knowledge and had no idea what all was needed. From a beginner's standpoint the spreadsheet is invaluable. Rotagrip in the UK is great to work with and has great pricing on Vertex and Albrecht items. We ended up buying an Acra LCM50 and 1440TVS and then started in on David's spreadsheet. $7,500 so far and still have a way to go. I have the intermediate and basic toolholders from his list but am still trying to wrap my arms around spending probably $1,500+ just for the inserts. Not counting the DROs I'll have at least $10k into David's spreadsheet before we get serious about making chips. It's getting close. Theoretically the lathe is getting delivered next Monday...but the snowstorm coming could easily delay the delivery.
Dave

One more comment on CNC. A CNC mill is truly a different beast that a manual mill. You'd be surprised by this but I think you are looking at two completely different machines. Almost as different as a lathe and a mill.

Get a manual mill and build some skills like feeds and speeds, tooling, and measuring. When you are ready buy a small CNC mill.

I have a friend that started very much in the position and desire as you. So far he has bought a mill/drill, a larger manual mill, a converted mill, and finally a HAAS VF1. He still uses the round column desktop mill for operations. all but the mill/drill and HAAS he had to sell at a loss.

All that equipment changing and retooling is quite expensive.

Another case study is Clough42. A great guy, and quite bright. He CNC'd his desktop mill and still bought a manual mill.

David B is not wrong on the cost of the accessories on his spreadsheet. My son and I are venturing into metalworking and have no prior knowledge and had no idea what all was needed. From a beginner's standpoint the spreadsheet is invaluable. Rotagrip in the UK is great to work with and has great pricing on Vertex and Albrecht items. We ended up buying an Acra LCM50 and 1440TVS and then started in on David's spreadsheet. $7,500 so far and still have a way to go. I have the intermediate and basic toolholders from his list but am still trying to wrap my arms around spending probably $1,500+ just for the inserts. Not counting the DROs I'll have at least $10k into David's spreadsheet before we get serious about making chips. It's getting close. Theoretically the lathe is getting delivered next Monday...but the snowstorm coming could easily delay the delivery.
Dave
If you’d like some help selecting NOS inserts on eBay for your lathe tooling, let me know. You have to know what you are doing but you can often find partial packs at reasonable prices without having to resort to Asian junk.

Power in the shop is currently 120c single phase, but the mains in on the wall in that bay so I was planning on adding 240v 1 phase outlet.
Consider adding a surface mounted sub-panel from your main. Lot's of advantages. You'll be able to run conduit and wire it yourself (not that hard). You can turn off the sub-panel without turning off your house and safely add/mod circuits. Also easy to add high amperage circuits and put them where you want them without cutting drywall (we have 2 50 amp for welders, a 6-20 20amp for our saw, etc). That let's you tailor breaker size for your equipment. And you can run multiple circuits in conduit to enable dedicated outlets without running a spider web of conduit (we were popping breakers with our air compressor because of weak knee'd 15-amp GFCIs). The 20 amp 120's work so much better.

Something like this maybe. Runs 11 outlets plus direct wire to my mill. No drywall was hurt during the filming of this sub-panel installation.

20210214_110344.jpg

20201114_191213.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if I put this up here but I have ordered both a PM833tv and a PM1340gt (3 phase version) a few weeks ago. I have been working with Mark Jacobs on a control panel (okay he is working I am waiting). As for power I am waiting for an electrician to come and install a pair of 220v outlets for the machines.

When I ordered some stuff was on back order, but I was told that a shipment was expected by 2/5 (which has already passed). One of the backordered items has already shipped so I am hoping the others will not be long.

PM833TV shipped today should take about a week to cross the US to the West coast.
The PM1340GT is on a ship somewhere between here and Asia (Cosco Sakura). and is expected to get to QMT in April.

Congrats! Looks like your Lathe is off the coast of Northern Japan.

Congrats! Looks like your Lathe is off the coast of Northern Japan.

Wow, she's drafting 42ft. Making a little over 19 knots.

Slow boat from Taiwan. that's a sizable draft, and that's not even 22 MPH....

Back