Bought an Everlast PowerTIG 250EX

The key to avoiding bottom feeder customers...

Is to provide added value. If the customer does not want it... thank them for their time and move on.
NEVER give a job away! It only gives buyers the idea they can get stuff for less than its true value...

What Rustrp said, I keep mine in their original tubes in my stainless tool cabinet which holds all my welding stuff. The BEST and lowest cost stainless tool chest for welding stuff is sold by Costco for only $399. You have to order them now they stopped carrying them in their stores, but everyone else sells this thing for $500 to $700 plus shipping. You can't beat $399.

https://www.costco.com/TRINITY-48"-Stainless-Steel-Rolling-Workbench.product.100161405.html

I have one of these tool chests and the taller/larger 41" bottom/top chest combo -- I highly endorse both. The drawer runners put everything else even remotely in the price range to shame. I'm thinking about getting a second. At least in Tucson, I have seen them out on the floor in at least two locations for less than the current online price. I think I last saw them listed at $449 (???). However, I drive a wagon which won't fit one standing up, so I paid to have them freighted.

The key to avoiding bottom feeder customers...

Is to provide added value. If the customer does not want it... thank them for their time and move on.
NEVER give a job away! It only gives buyers the idea they can get stuff for less than its true value...
d
Giving your price then give a discount only gives the customer the idea you were too high in the first place or they can beat you up a little more next time.i quote what is fair and that is what it is.if they don't want quality work at a fair price send em packing.good work ain't cheap and cheap work ain't good.learned a long time ago not to shoot myself in the foot.

d
Giving your price then give a discount only gives the customer the idea you were too high in the first place or they can beat you up a little more next time.i quote what is fair and that is what it is.if they don't want quality work at a fair price send em packing.good work ain't cheap and cheap work ain't good.learned a long time ago not to shoot myself in the foot.
I've been saying that for years with my carpentry. really bothers me when people try to beat me down. You want to haggle a price, go to a car salesman or a Craigslist sale, don't beat down your serviceman or your contractor... he's trying to feed his family with his hard work..

I can't quite grasp the logic of trying to haggle the price of a service. All that happens when you haggle a price is you **** off your fabricator. I have become less bashful on pricing over the past few weeks. Not being arrogant here but, I know that I build a quality product or make quality repairs and I stand behind my work.

I gave an estimate to a customer last week on a store bought propane fire pit that he wanted modified. Virtually, he only wanted to use the top and burner and build an entire cabinet under it. He was a super nice guy but, indicated that my price was more than he wanted to spend. My estimates are clearly spelled out line by line for materials and even down to the 10% I charge for consumables and supplier cut fees. I even list the fasteners used and price. I nicely told him that I gave him the best price that I could and gaurantee him quality.

The job was completed and his wife stopped by to pick up. She was very pleased. Mind you, all of my communications with this customer have been very short and to the point. He is a business man and wastes no time BSing on the phone.....I get it, he's busy. A few days after they picked up the fire pit, I see an email from him in my in box. I'm thinking ahhh crap....he's not happy. I open the email and see that this guy took the time to write me a glowing review for me to post on the shop facebook page.

I learned a lot from this deal. Set your price, deliver quality on time, get a happy customer and put a few bucks in your pocket. The guys that don't wanna pay are usually people that I never want to deal with again anyway so, when they walk away over price I'm just saving myself a headache.

d

Below is how we run the heating and AC business... this seems to work best for us... others may do differently.

When we are selling a new system... many times we offer an incentive to 'close' the sale.
Typically this is how it goes:
After a visit to the home, which includes time looking at the existing system, the load, and discussing wants, needs, and expectations... we offer best, better, and good; with pricing... each price has about $500 excess built in.
If necessary to close the sale, I will offer a free thermostat upgrade or a free media filter.
Since we buy those items in bulk during slow season (best price), it is more a matter of closing the sale.

The few times we do not have to offer an incentive to close (we generally offer something to most folks, just as a courtesy)... we do some extra work; like spending an extra hour taping up leaks or loose system insulation, them more thorough mastic application.

The end result is the customer feels like we give well over 100% (nobody needs to know it was priced in)... and we get lots of referrals. And IMO any small business person knows referrals are better than cold called sales!!!

The current young professional thinks they should get a deal (IMO an entitlement mentality... however that would be political, so lets not go there)...
And the way we have our sales structured... they get the impression they got a deal (without us loosing any $$$).
So at the end of the day... it all works out... :)

Sure, there are the few who press for too much of a deal...
Our response is to ask them what they would like to delete from the job... like drop the air filter or the thermostat or downgrade to a lower equipment level.... then just be quiet and look at them (not stare at them, however give them the floor).
Either they will buy or we go on to the next customer.

Generally, given we are almost 100% referral... we only walk a few potential sales a year.

My work is 100% referral. I don't advertise at all. I feel I have a bit of a talent to read people relatively well with even a short conversion. I will adjust my prices accordingly. If I like the person I will give a reasonable deal if the job allows it. If I feel the person is the type of person who will constantly make changes or ask for upgrades without compensating, I will quote high.
I like giving people deals, I love my work, I like when I can make people happy. I gave one client a $400 break at the end of the job, it cost less than anticipated, I made what I needed to make from the job, so I was happy to give the deal. She cried and hugged me, telling me how I had no idea what that meant at the time. My last client bunked me for $1000 in changes... I charged enough not to lose because she was very sticky with the contract in th4 beginning.

We do not advertise either... the joke is: last years marketing expense was a box of business cards... :)

Sometimes when a job really goes well (or the customer was unusually agreeable)... I will comment on how well it went and offer a freebee 'just because'... Did that a couple of weeks ago... upgraded them to a WiFi thermostat (the kind you can monitor/change from you smart phone anywhere). My added cost was about $25... they really appreciated it... and I think I already have a referral from it... :)

Back on the TIG subject...
One of the things on my wish list is an Everlast TIG unit...
Not sure which one yet... however I think the 200 series (as opposed to the larger 300 series) will be enough.
Not sure of the model and accessories yet... that is a research project for when AC season is over (less busy).

When it is time to research... will come on here and ask a bunch of questions.

Back