BP 2J Rebuild

WOW that's really cool. Thanks everyone!!!'

Fantastic work.

Thanks for posting the pics.

MK

Absolutely superb workmanship, You have a nice milling machine good as new I take my hat off to you for your skill & dedication, Sadly I have noticed on other sites Bridgeport's getting some caustic & disparaging remarks flung at them, Where I worked some years back, they had Bridgeport's, They are very fine machine tools Ideal for light toolroom duties, to a high accuracy.

A thorough and beautiful restoration. Congratulations! Thank you for posting detailed photos of the process. It reminds me of a Hercus lathe (South Bend replica) I restored many years ago, mainly because of the colour. Mine was pale gray out of a spray can - expensive, but I did not have a compressor then.

One day, I hope to get a Bridgeport. I enjoyed using one at tech. college and like the size and versatility of the machine.

A thorough and beautiful restoration. Congratulations! Thank you for posting detailed photos of the process. It reminds me of a Hercus lathe (South Bend replica) I restored many years ago, mainly because of the colour. Mine was pale gray out of a spray can - expensive, but I did not have a compressor then.

One day, I hope to get a Bridgeport. I enjoyed using one at tech. college and like the size and versatility of the machine.

I used Rustileums 7400 DTM Alkyd paint for almost everything. A hand full of small parts were painted with a spray bomb.

Silver Gray (1 gal) 906402
Light Machine Gray (spray bomb) v2183838

I just did a Google search and could not find Rustoleum here in Australia. I'm sure there are equivalent products.

For anything outdoors, I use zinc-rich paint, 2 coats followed by an enamel, 2 coats. For indoors, anything that bonds well to the base metal. Since I have more experience with automotive paints than industrial paints, I tend to use those products, depending on the finish required. For industrial tools, today I would look for something resistant to cutting fluids and oil, which is what I did not do with my lathe resto 35 years ago!

Thanks for that info.

This was a dissertation on rebuilding.
Many things learned.How much work was the sanding of Bondo?
Thanks for the presentation.
Ariscats

This was a dissertation on rebuilding.
Many things learned.How much work was the sanding of Bondo?
Thanks for the presentation.
Ariscats

It was one of the easier parts of the rebuild. I used a DA sander and it made quick work of it.

Just wanted to add another congrats on P.O.M! Totally awesome job!

Congratulation! You did an AMAZING JOB! I bet that Bridgeport never look that good brand new! I just bough a Millrite lately and I don't know yet how far I want to go in this project, the only part of restoration scaring me is finding a place to have the way redone like yours and how much this cost SO......

Now It's time for you to restore that Millrite for the kid....I promise to be a good listener...:))

Back