Bridgeport or Lagun

KTMer

Registered
Registered
I wanted a mill for my hobby machine shop so I put in a couple of low auction bids for a Bridgeport and Lagun thinking I would win neither and ended up with both!
My milling goals are to learn how to use one of the machines to make simple custom aluminum parts for my motorcycles and replacement parts for things that break on my tractors and other machinery
Any insights into which one I should keep and which one I should sell?
Have not picked them up yet so these are the only pics avail

Attachments

• B1.png
    B1.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 129
  • B2.png
    B2.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 124
  • L1.png
    L1.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 120
  • L2.png
    L2.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 130
Well, condition is EVERYTHING. which one is tighter and runs better? you got time to try them out.

all things being equal, sell the bridgy. It has better name recognition and commands a higher price.

need better pics but bridgy looks to be a step pulley and lagun a 2J reeves drive type. The power feed on the bridgy is the original - problematic. The lagun looks to be a newer style. again check which one works correctly

Yeah both are good machines, pick the least worn and most capable. Please post more pictures when you can!

It appears that the Bridgeport is an older M series (round ram) machine. As such it's probably only 1 hp at best (most likely 1/2 hp) and can only use collets up to 1/2". The collets are either a B-2, MT#2 or B&S #7. None are as common as the R8 collets used in the newer series I machines. R8 collets are available up to 1". However, it's recommended to stay in the 3/4" to 7/8" range. 1" collets are very thin and not very strong. The M series machine has a quill travel of 3 1/2". The series I machines have a quill travel of 5". This machine weighs in at about 1,500 lbs.

If the Lagun is in good shape it's the better choice. It has the much sturdier (and easier to tram) V ram. They come in several versions, but are usually 2-3 hp or more. They most commonly use R8 collets, but occasionally are ordered with different spindle configurations. This machine weighs in at about 3,100 lbs.

Keep in mind these recommendations are made from the limited pictures and without having any knowledge as to the conditions of either machine. I have a 1 1/2 hp Bridgeport Series I machine with the variable speed head. It's more than adequate for the work I do. At the time I was looking there were a few Laguns on the market, but they were beyond my budget. My first choice at the time was a Tree brand mill since they were the ones we used in most of our machine shops. There were very few available and the prices were well beyond what I could spend. Several of the people I worked with had run Laguns for previous employers and thought they were excellent machines.

Having owned many mills over the years , Laguns are nice mills . I ended up selling the FTV-2 Lagun and held my BP Series 1 VS . The Lagun was a larger machine and nice . I kept the BP only because of all the attachments I already owned for it . In your case , the Lagun would be the keeper . JMO .

The Bridgeport is some type of hybrid conversion- I see a horizontal drive there
The bottom half is I think a Cinci maybe
That thing deserves a closer inspection
You dog! Two mills!
Lagun is probably the keeper
They both have step-pulley heads if I'm not mistaken

Last edited:
Back