Bridgeport or Lagun

That horizontal mill with the BP head is a head scratcher, the vertical head is not a BP M head, but a larger style step pulley type. The mill itself has double round overarms and it looks like a universal table with rotation, the picture is too poor to identify as to manufacturer, but I don't think it is either Cincinnati or B&S. For hobby use, the choice is obviously the Lagun.

That horizontal mill with the BP head is a head scratcher, the vertical head is not a BP M head, but a larger style step pulley type. The mill itself has double round overarms and it looks like a universal table with rotation, the picture is too poor to identify as to manufacturer, but I don't think it is either Cincinnati or B&S. For hobby use, the choice is obviously the Lagun.
I think you're correct. When I zoomed in on the pictures I could see the second bar for the horizontal overhead support. You can also see the speed control on the left side and the socket for the arbor on the front. The column and base look a lot like a Kearney & Trecker Model H, but I don't know that much about the different mills they made.

Here's a link to a K&T Model H on eBay:

I think you're correct. When I zoomed in on the pictures I could see the second bar for the horizontal overhead support. You can also see the speed control on the left side and the socket for the arbor on the front. The column and base look a lot like a Kearney & Trecker Model H, but I don't know that much about the different mills they made.

Here's a link to a K&T Model H on eBay:
I think that you pegged it, defining it is the vertical feed crank that comes out straight on the knee with the large curved crank handle, Also, I think the big bulgy thing on the right hand end of the table is a gearbox for spiral cutting, not feeds.

I wondered about the BP having never seen one like it. I bet the Lagun will be the better of the two. I have the big brother (FT-2) to your FT-1, and I love it. As the others said, their condition will be your primary deciding factor for which to keep. Nice haul!

What is interesting about the K and T is that it has the housing for the low lead attachment. If the gears are inside and the worms are in the box near the machine, those items alone are worth more than the mill itself. A K and T with a low lead is pretty rare. Dave

I would keep the Lagun. There is some weird stuff going on with the Bridgeport. Did they combine the auction lot? That happened to me, and now I have 4 lathe chucks when I only wanted one.

Easy answer=keep both. While definitely an oddball, the Frankenmill could be a very versatile machine. Large universal table, all axis power feeds, horizontal option(with proper accessories), spiral cutting capability, good rigidity, etc.. Of course I've always been a sucker for old oddball machinery. Mike

Back