Bronze

High Strength Modified Copper, UNS C19400, H02 Temper flat products
Categories:Metal; Nonferrous Metal; Copper Alloy
Material Notes:Good to excellent corrosion resistance. Excellent hot and cold workability.

Applications: circuit breaker components, contact springs, electrical clamps, electrical springs, electrical terminals, flexible hose, fuse clips, gaskets, gift hollow ware, plug contacts, rivets, and welded condenser tubes.
Test specimen: flat product - 1mm thickness.
Key Words:CDA 194, HSM Copper
Vendors:

well, most say electrical, but another for bearing material.
I would need someone smarter than me to decipher whether the cross index in Wieland is actually CDA194.. and what they think overall.

Everything I find is primarily electrical, electronics. Billed as being close to copper but stronger.

I think cda 194 is k65, if it is it is used for fittings/ assemblies for hi pressure air conditioning systems.
Is it slightly magnetic?
But why such I big bar? My guess is someone ordered the wrong material and it has been shuffled between owners thinking they have bearing material and discovering it is not and without tin or lead probably is not the best bearing material.

I think cda 194 is k65, if it is it is used for fittings/ assemblies for hi pressure air conditioning systems.
Is it slightly magnetic?
But why such I big bar? My guess is someone ordered the wrong material and it has been shuffled between owners thinking they have bearing material and discovering it is not and without tin or lead probably is not the best bearing material.
It is slightly magnetic. Sticks to a magnet pretty well but not like steel.20231014_114250.jpg

There is always a risk that I'll buy something surplus that turns out to be pretty much useless....This was my turn. I'm sure I can make something out if it...lol.

I figured it was bronze from the color, texture, and hardness. I was wrong.

The recycling center gives $2.95 a pound for #1 copper. So as regular copper it's worth $162. I don't know if they will give a premium for a high performance copper alloy. I'll call them on Monday morning.

How did you determine it is CDA194? CDA194 has some iron in it, so that could explain the magnetism, but there are other alloys with nickel that is also magnetic.

As far as the size, it could be used to extrude electrical components and wasn’t meant to be machined from the bar stock.

With it being magnetic, you might have trouble at the scrap yard with them taking it as a copper alloy. A company I used to work for had a lot of large machine components made from super duplex stainless steel, since it is magnetic, the scrap yard would only give them scrap steel rates and not stainless. That may explain why the dealer was selling it for less than he claimed he could get at the scrap yard.

Back